I would be interested in the experience of other PA's who have taken ATLS. I have taken and passed ACLS twice in the past with no problems. However, I took the ATLS course last week and found it much different. For those unfamiliar, it is a two day ( 12 hour days ) course which includes lectures and "skill stations". These include intubation, CT insertion, XR intrepretation, etc.  The second continues with some teaching but is mostly taken up with testing. Again, my first experience but I found the teaching to be rather basic and repetitive. Skill stations are ok but there only so much you can accomplish on a trauma simulator. The testing includes a trauma simulation which you, the test-taker, must manage from beginning to end. This is followed by a written test. So here is my point. The trauma scenario seems to really stress people, there were people in my group, including MD's, who were almost wetting themselves. I breezed through that part, it was actually pretty easy. The test however, is not easy. 80% is minimum to pass, I scored 70%. Don't want to sound like I am rationalizing but I found the test to be unreasonably difficult. I have taken alot of exams including 4 PANRE recerts, this was the hardest exam I have ever had. It was a very discouraging experience. Two very stressful days and in the last hour you walk out somewhat defeated. The material as taught was certainly not at a level demanded by the wrtten test. Passing was not required for my job but I came away feeling defeated and with the vague feeling that it wasn't quite fair. Thoughts? Tip to future tatkers of ATLS; you MUST read the entire text book prior to the course. Thanks.

I disagree. I took it last week. I did not read the entire book. I do suggest reading all the "pitfalls," anything in red letters, and anything above and below those you need to fully comprehend what they mean. Studied about 3 hours and did very well on the test. I only say this so many new PAs aren't scared to death of this test, like I was going in after reading things like this. There were multiple failures by interns. I certainly recommend reading the entire book as it does contain some excellent material, I just didn't have the time prior to the test.

ETA: I will say I took the 2.5 day initial student course and not the 2 day initial student course

the test is tough, but that's ok. Something to consider in regard to the written test. Some questions are written with the thought in mind that the provider is working at a level one trauma center with every specialty available (unless otherwise specifically stated in the question that x specialty is not available). This can be a bit of a challenge for people who work in smaller systems, where say, surgery is not available. In the question you may determine that the pt needs surgical intervention. Your gut response might be "we don't have surgery here" so  correctly, the pt needs to be transferred. So you may pick "transfer the pt" or something similar. When the "correct" response is something like "obtain surgical consult in the ED" or "peritoneal lavage". Just remind yourself that you are working in an ED with every specialty available, that might help.

Question for you.

Do you have an option for a re-take? If so study, study, study. either way, heed E's words, they ring true. 

Archived