Pittsburgh!

Hi! I'm applying to the chatham program and just submitted my app yesterday! I went to Pitt and live a block from chatham right now so if you have any questions about Pittsburgh, aka city of champions, let me know and I can answer them!

I applied to the school as well...if they give me a chance I will definitely ask you some questions (I have never been to PA). Thanks for offering your help!

Yes-def easy to get around. I don't know about chatham but Pitt's ID got us around for free on the bus system...which i still use lol, Usually 2 dollars a ride and I didnt have a car for the first 2 years of college.

Now I only use my car to go to work and to get groceries, because i find it more convenient but hey you can always bum rides! If you live in shadyside, where chatham is, the area is super yuppie with young professionals everywhere. Great restaurants and shops within walking distance for sure! apartments are on the more expensive side for pittsburgh (I'm paying 575 for my part of a 2 bedroom including most utilities) but it is a great area and you most certainly won't get robbed here like other shady areas of pittsburgh.

I don't think the rent is even that bad...You can honestly buy a decent house in pittsburgh for sooooo cheap. Pittsburgh is one of the areas that "hasn't gotten hit by the economy downfall" and is named the "Most livible city" lol

Yes-def easy to get around. I don't know about chatham but Pitt's ID got us around for free on the bus system...which i still use lol, Usually 2 dollars a ride and I didnt have a car for the first 2 years of college.

Now I only use my car to go to work and to get groceries, because i find it more convenient but hey you can always bum rides! If you live in shadyside, where chatham is, the area is super yuppie with young professionals everywhere. Great restaurants and shops within walking distance for sure! apartments are on the more expensive side for pittsburgh (I'm paying 575 for my part of a 2 bedroom including most utilities) but it is a great area and you most certainly won't get robbed here like other shady areas of pittsburgh.

I don't think the rent is even that bad...You can honestly buy a decent house in pittsburgh for sooooo cheap. Pittsburgh is one of the areas that "hasn't gotten hit by the economy downfall" and is named the "Most livible city" lol

I guess I won't need my car if there is a reliable public transportation. That's is good to know because the money I would be spending in gas or to maintain the car I can use as part of my rent!.:)

Yea, honestly just make sure where your apartment is, is in walking distance of all major things you need and you will be fine. Nobody here actually goes downtown anyways. Downtown is sorta beat, but the smaller neighborhoods in pittsburgh is where all the action is. Their are about 3-4 buses that run through shadyside that go to downtown, south side (where all the fun bars are) and oakland (umm more fun bars). From these locations you can take a bus to anywhere else (malls, stadiums, etc.)

Parking here is not terrible. I lived in oakland and that was the worst I had to deal with. Parking permit was 25 bucks a year for on-street and you would literally drive around for 15-20 mins sometimes to find a spot.

Shadyside is easy, some areas require the permit, some don't, but I have never had trouble finding a spot less than 2 blocks away...yet.

• 4 weeks later...

just thought I would pipe in... you have to buy a bus pass, but you get it at a really great rate (so I am told) through Student Accounts as a Chatham Student. There are buses that take you down to Oakland and the East Side Chatham campus (where the PA program is) and on campus parking is very expensive.

But I love it here!

• 3 weeks later...

i live a block away, you can actually park a block from campus on street for free! (Shady ave and across the st. in shadyside on kentucky ave) doesn't chatham also have shuttles? I see them everywhere so I assume those can take you from main campus to the east side campus. Anyways i'm moving to savannah but if anyone has any more questions about Pittsburgh let me know! And if anyone wants an apt in January-August i'm subletting :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived