PACRAT and PANCE?

Guest paporzelt

Guest paporzelt

Hi! I'm a recent PA grad, and I'm taking my boards next Wed!!! Super excited/nervous.

I've been studying pretty rigorously, doing Kaplan, AAPA, Lange, and PACRAT questions, but I have a question: My program made us take 4 PACRATs during our clinical year - how well do they reflect on you're ability to pass the PANCE? I know the PANCE isn't graded on how many you get right, but thats how they graded our PACRATs and gave us the national average for that PACRAT as well. With all 4 I passed and was slightly above the national average. But when I go through the Lange book I feel like I don't know a thing. What are the PANCE questions like? I'm getting pretty nervous, and doing about 6 hours of studying a day - about 300 questions plus reviewing what I get wrong. Please someone put my mind at ease...lol. thanks!

Guest paporzelt

Hi! I'm a recent PA grad, and I'm taking my boards next Wed!!! Super excited/nervous.

I've been studying pretty rigorously, doing Kaplan, AAPA, Lange, and PACRAT questions, but I have a question: My program made us take 4 PACRATs during our clinical year - how well do they reflect on you're ability to pass the PANCE? I know the PANCE isn't graded on how many you get right, but thats how they graded our PACRATs and gave us the national average for that PACRAT as well. With all 4 I passed and was slightly above the national average. But when I go through the Lange book I feel like I don't know a thing. What are the PANCE questions like? I'm getting pretty nervous, and doing about 6 hours of studying a day - about 300 questions plus reviewing what I get wrong. Please someone put my mind at ease...lol. thanks!

Speaking only on the PACRAT, as I was given some good advice recently regarding the exam. It all really depends how the program utilizes the PACRAT and how the student approaches it. Some make the student study and prepare for it as if it where boards. Some even make it a grade that can fail you in the clinical year, which I am told the PACRAT specifically states that it was not intended or developed for and discourages programs from such use. From what I understand, the predictability in the PACRAT to the PANCE is not very clear. There are also those that like to 'cold deck' it. Just go in and answer off what you learned thus far, no studying. While there may be no predictability on 'just taking it' it will show you what you may be comfortable in and what you will need to work at.

my 2 pennies

Speaking only on the PACRAT, as I was given some good advice recently regarding the exam. It all really depends how the program utilizes the PACRAT and how the student approaches it. Some make the student study and prepare for it as if it where boards. Some even make it a grade that can fail you in the clinical year, which I am told the PACRAT specifically states that it was not intended or developed for and discourages programs from such use. From what I understand, the predictability in the PACRAT to the PANCE is not very clear. There are also those that like to 'cold deck' it. Just go in and answer off what you learned thus far, no studying. While there may be no predictability on 'just taking it' it will show you what you may be comfortable in and what you will need to work at.

my 2 pennies

ok. so i took it this morning. I feel like I def got more right than wrong, but dear god there were some obscure questions on that test....I don't really know how to feel, and this waiting for a grade? it sucks. as i put it to my boyfriend "i don't want to cry but i don't want to jump for joy either." is this normal? when will I get my grade?? I cant wait 2 whole weeks!!

ok. so i took it this morning. I feel like I def got more right than wrong, but dear god there were some obscure questions on that test....I don't really know how to feel, and this waiting for a grade? it sucks. as i put it to my boyfriend "i don't want to cry but i don't want to jump for joy either." is this normal? when will I get my grade?? I cant wait 2 whole weeks!!

from what i know, it basically tells you where you stand, especially if no preparation was involved and you scored well. If you were in the middle or the top ranks of your class average range, you are good to go. The best way to prepare for PANCE is to get the concepts and protocols right. Word Associations a.k.a Buzz words may help. The exam is basically on something you should and must know, even though some questions may be a curve ball.

from what i know, it basically tells you where you stand, especially if no preparation was involved and you scored well. If you were in the middle or the top ranks of your class average range, you are good to go. The best way to prepare for PANCE is to get the concepts and protocols right. Word Associations a.k.a Buzz words may help. The exam is basically on something you should and must know, even though some questions may be a curve ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived