California and Arizona Cities?

Hey everyone,

I was just curious about the towns/cities in California that are closer to the coastline and south of San Francisco. I wanted to know which areas are really fun for younger single folks (late 20s) and whether or not they are safe for living. I am aware of LA and how the further east you go, the more ghetto it gets. Any areas that are a sure go-to out there? I have heard San Diego, Long Beach, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara....Honestly I don't know anything about them I'm just restating the stereotypes. I do understand cost of living, so you need not warn me.

This question also applies to Arizona, more specifically the Scottsdale Arizona area. I have had a recruiter try and work with me for both these cali and arizona spots but right now this guy is just spewing meaningless names to me. It's the worst feeling hardly knowing anything about these places. Anyone know any nice areas to live?

Hey everyone,

I was just curious about the towns/cities in California that are closer to the coastline and south of San Francisco. I wanted to know which areas are really fun for younger single folks (late 20s) and whether or not they are safe for living. I am aware of LA and how the further east you go, the more ghetto it gets. Any areas that are a sure go-to out there? I have heard San Diego, Long Beach, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara....Honestly I don't know anything about them I'm just restating the stereotypes. I do understand cost of living, so you need not warn me.

This question also applies to Arizona, more specifically the Scottsdale Arizona area. I have had a recruiter try and work with me for both these cali and arizona spots but right now this guy is just spewing meaningless names to me. It's the worst feeling hardly knowing anything about these places. Anyone know any nice areas to live?

Southern California is easy to understand. First, every place has a bad area so get that out of your head quick. The easiest way to find a great place in So Cal is to visit. Go hang out in the various areas and see which one you like the best that has what you need. The "city" (LA Metro) is broken up into so many different regions/small cities that each one is so different. For me, the best places are Santa Monica, Hermosa/Manhattan Beach, Huntington Beach, Carlsbad, San Clemente and San Diego.

For Arizona and specifically Maricopa County, for me, there's only one place to live and that's Scottsdale. Again, go and visit, but it's pretty tough to beat North Scottsdale. Tempe isn't bad especially for a young, single person since ASU is right there. You can look at Glendale/Mesa/Apache Junction, but for me, it's Scottsdale (doesn't hurt that I lived there for a while).

Rich

Southern California is easy to understand. First, every place has a bad area so get that out of your head quick. The easiest way to find a great place in So Cal is to visit. Go hang out in the various areas and see which one you like the best that has what you need. The "city" (LA Metro) is broken up into so many different regions/small cities that each one is so different. For me, the best places are Santa Monica, Hermosa/Manhattan Beach, Huntington Beach, Carlsbad, San Clemente and San Diego.

For Arizona and specifically Maricopa County, for me, there's only one place to live and that's Scottsdale. Again, go and visit, but it's pretty tough to beat North Scottsdale. Tempe isn't bad especially for a young, single person since ASU is right there. You can look at Glendale/Mesa/Apache Junction, but for me, it's Scottsdale (doesn't hurt that I lived there for a while).

Rich

San Diego is cool, Carlsbad, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz are all pretty cool, IMO. All have rough parts, none are super high end, but all are ok for young folks.

I would also add san luis obispo to your list.

I'm a big santa cruz fan. spent 5 yrs there and would go back in a second for the right job.

San Diego is cool, Carlsbad, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz are all pretty cool, IMO. All have rough parts, none are super high end, but all are ok for young folks.

I would also add san luis obispo to your list.

I'm a big santa cruz fan. spent 5 yrs there and would go back in a second for the right job.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into them. I have read up on Santa Barbara and keep seeing this "gang violence" stuff pop up...apparently Latino gangs between the east and west side of town. What is this all about? I imagine most cities in the Southern Cali area have some kind of gang presence, but if I move out there, I would like to know it's safe. I guess I could always live a bit further away for my commute to work but don't know if that would help. I was under the impression SB is safe...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into them. I have read up on Santa Barbara and keep seeing this "gang violence" stuff pop up...apparently Latino gangs between the east and west side of town. What is this all about? I imagine most cities in the Southern Cali area have some kind of gang presence, but if I move out there, I would like to know it's safe. I guess I could always live a bit further away for my commute to work but don't know if that would help. I was under the impression SB is safe...

• 3 months later...

I'm a PA living and practicing in Santa Barbara...PM me with any specific questions.

I would highly recommend anywhere along the south central coast (Ventura up to San Luis Obispo area). The problem with Santa Barbara itself is that for such a small city it is seemingly super saturated with physicians, leaving fewer opportunities open to PAs/NPs.

Live in Phoenix, agree Scottsdale for young 20 somethings.

But be warned, it's quite simply way too hot here. I mean unreasonably hot. Like in endless heat, no variation in weather (minimal), I mean it rains like once a year. Seriously, ok maybe twice. It's late October and its still in the low 90s. Yeah, I know nice right? Not really, actually it gets old.

I don't know, Iain. Of course, I'm biased because I have only lived in Arizona and California (except for 6 months in Phily area), but the heat in Arizona is not that bad, expecially when you get used to it. Every place has AC. I'd rather have that than have to worry about snow and freezing my butt off.

I prefer California to Arizona, though, and I agree with the Santa Cruz comments, but I think it really comes down to what you're looking for in terms of big city feel, activities, partying, weather, etc.

Have lived and worked in California my entire life and career. There are a lot of great areas to live like Santa Barbara and San Diego, but because of that, you will be competing with a large number of PAs who also want to live and work there. Salaries are low in the metropolitan areas, and real estate prices are astronomical for a "shack."

The highest paid areas in California are in the Central Valley and rural areas as it is hard to recruit PAs and physicians to those areas. Real estate is affordable, but they are not the most desirable areas in which to live.

Don't move to a metropolitan area without a solid job offer or you may go hungry for a while.

I highly recommend the Central Coast of CA. San Luis Obispo is a nice size town with great weather and a large university or Paso Robles about 40 miles N of SLO. Paso is inland so it gets quite hot but is in an area of great vineyards and wineries. The more you move inland away from the coast the more plentiful jobs become and the cost of living goes down. In Santa Barbara you might be able to get a single wide for 250K.

jobs on the california coast in desirable locations are few and far between. the er I trained in as a medic student over 20 yrs ago still has the same pa working there now who was there then. folks don't leave these jobs, they retire from them. salaries tend to be low and costs of living high so living in these places, although beautiful, has trade offs.that being said I frequently think about trying to move back then realize that selling my house in the pacific nw would likely raise enough money to buy a studio condo in northern ca.

Archived