My PANRE REPORT

Just got my score from the PANRE. Took it on 7/12. Got results 7/18. Passed with good margin. I only used the new AAPA book and took the pretest and post test. I also used Datachem and did all of the questions and redid the CV,pulmonary,GI, and GU questions. I also went through the old AAPA books and did the tests. I prepared well and it paid off. Some of my colleagues only went through the AAPA book once and still passed by a more slim margin. Passing is passing.

Just got my score from the PANRE. Took it on 7/12. Got results 7/18. Passed with good margin. I only used the new AAPA book and took the pretest and post test. I also used Datachem and did all of the questions and redid the CV,pulmonary,GI, and GU questions. I also went through the old AAPA books and did the tests. I prepared well and it paid off. Some of my colleagues only went through the AAPA book once and still passed by a more slim margin. Passing is passing.

I took PANCE on 7/11. failed with big margin. i used aapa book, old (3rd ed.) used pre and post test . also used lange Q&A and for CV, GI used stepup to medicine by agabegi.

any suggestions what should i do different this time.

what's the best practice test other than nccpa one, to gauge progress?

I took PANCE on 7/11. failed with big margin. i used aapa book, old (3rd ed.) used pre and post test . also used lange Q&A and for CV, GI used stepup to medicine by agabegi.

any suggestions what should i do different this time.

what's the best practice test other than nccpa one, to gauge progress?

@ lkitsko1 ..... Congratulations, you must feel like it's a big load off! Did you take the general primary care PANRE or the practice-focused surgery component version? I am asking because I failed the surgery PANRE a few weeks ago. I was both shocked and devastated by my low score as I feel that it did not accurately represent my typical testing aptitude and I was well within "passing" range on all of my practice tests. I prepared using new Appleton/Lange, attended a board review course, and also used a friend's study materials from the Chicago CME Resources course. I felt prepared however when I took the exam I was surprised that most questions were so obscure that they were not even covered in my review materials. I gave my best educated guesses. It would be helpful to me to know whether your test was the general PANRE or surgery one as I think I need to take the general PANRE next time (even though I work in surgery). Also, when you refer to the "AAPA book" for studying, is it "A Comprehansive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants" by Claire Babcock O'Connell and Sarah F. Zarbock?

Thanks for any insight you or anyone else can provide.

@ lkitsko1 ..... Congratulations, you must feel like it's a big load off! Did you take the general primary care PANRE or the practice-focused surgery component version? I am asking because I failed the surgery PANRE a few weeks ago. I was both shocked and devastated by my low score as I feel that it did not accurately represent my typical testing aptitude and I was well within "passing" range on all of my practice tests. I prepared using new Appleton/Lange, attended a board review course, and also used a friend's study materials from the Chicago CME Resources course. I felt prepared however when I took the exam I was surprised that most questions were so obscure that they were not even covered in my review materials. I gave my best educated guesses. It would be helpful to me to know whether your test was the general PANRE or surgery one as I think I need to take the general PANRE next time (even though I work in surgery). Also, when you refer to the "AAPA book" for studying, is it "A Comprehansive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants" by Claire Babcock O'Connell and Sarah F. Zarbock?

Thanks for any insight you or anyone else can provide.

First of all I feel for you and it sounds as if you got "the wrong test" or the NCCPA possibly keyed the test wrong. In any event, I used the most recent aapa book by oconnell and zarbock. I did the pretest and accessed the online post test that accompany this book. I basically memorized the answers to these questions. I also went through the older aapa pre and post tests. I bought datachem, which has 800 some questions. I only went through the AAPA book once, but i wrote out notecards while doing this. It was painful, but it worked. I passed with a significant margin. My test was the general PANRE with adult medicine component. I work in CV surgery but did not feel comfortable dealing with general surgery, gyne surgery etc.

First of all I feel for you and it sounds as if you got "the wrong test" or the NCCPA possibly keyed the test wrong. In any event, I used the most recent aapa book by oconnell and zarbock. I did the pretest and accessed the online post test that accompany this book. I basically memorized the answers to these questions. I also went through the older aapa pre and post tests. I bought datachem, which has 800 some questions. I only went through the AAPA book once, but i wrote out notecards while doing this. It was painful, but it worked. I passed with a significant margin. My test was the general PANRE with adult medicine component. I work in CV surgery but did not feel comfortable dealing with general surgery, gyne surgery etc.

• 4 weeks later...

@lkitsko1 Congrats! I am jealous as well. I took the PANRE in June and failed. I studied from the AAPA book and wrote out note cards and actually felt good going into the test. When I was done I felt that I was mislead when studying. There were some off the wall questions that I have no idea to this day on what the answer would be. It was the first day after the change so didn't know if that had something to do with it??? I started studying again but not with the AAPA book. I am watching lectures on line with the UMDNJ then reading out of the Van Rhee book. When I get closer I will do questions from the CME resources and other test banks and hopefully I can pull through a second time. It has been really hard because I study then try and go back to review and feel everythng is now mushing together. I retake it Sept 24th and have been studying AGAIN since mid June. GOOD LUCK to you simkin!!!

I agree about the questions. I did a review course in February, and then started doing questions in July (I took the PANRE early this month). I did go over my old (2nd edition) Comprehensive Review for the PANCE/PANRE book sporadically, but spent most of my review time using the Exam Master question bank. I did about 100 questions/night for about 2-3 weeks, and ended up doing quite well on the PANRE. I think the questions, and especially going over the answers (whether I got them correct or not), helped the most in my preparation. I took the general/primary care PANRE, although I work General Surgery.

Archived