Hello beautiful people, what do you think..? Pls critique

Why am I knocking on the doorway to the start of a PA career? Well, because I would love to come in, trade my jacket for a lab coat, and stay for around 40 years. To me, it's the best house on the healthcare block. And here's why. Learning from my own experiences in healthcare, community service, and college, I believe I've found a fast track to personal and professional fruition within the PA field. As a PA, I can concentrate on one-on-one patient relationships while working closely with other members of the healthcare team. I can continually improve my clinical skills and knowledge. I can be healing, constructive, scientific, inspirational, and impactful in the lives of others.

The PA profession is the right fit for many reasons, but here are some of the main ones. First, PAs have an excellent tradition of forming effective relationships with patients. My personal experiences like serving on religious leadership teams, wheeling students with disabilities around Young Life outdoor camps, and investing time into mentoring high schoolers have taught me the worth of developing relationships that serve others. And professionally, working as a Therapy Aide in the acute inpatient setting, some of the moments I value most are when the PT and I are able to go beyond our job description and engage the patient as a whole person. What can we do to improve their situation right now? Sometimes it's communicating a need to the nursing staff, or allowing extra time for more in-depth patient education. Sometimes it's just delivering a cup of ice water. But when we're able to reach out and connect with a patient in this way, we become more than just hospital workers, we're allies, and we're both built up because of it. Every experience I've had with PAs reinforces that this profession is highly focused on person to person relationships. The connections PAs are able to make with patients can go very far in the treatment of the whole individual and their family.

Secondly, PAs are committed to the medical model and continuing education: two cornerstones of healthcare. The medical model has facilitated healing for hundreds of years by emphasizing a scientific, biologic approach to health. And continuing education ensures PAs stay on the cutting edge of practicing medicine. The rigorous science curriculum at the University of Florida was not only fascinating, it helped prepare me for the intensity of PA school and ongoing education. Although the ride was bumpy at first, I soon developed study techniques that helped me to finish strongly. A long time ago, I dedicated myself to continued learning and professional growth in the health field. And as a prospective PA student, I'm excited to see the high value PAs place on continuing education, and I believe the PA medical model is ripe to benefit from the current growth spurt in healthcare R&D.

I'm pursuing a career as a PA over a career in nursing, rehabilitation, or as a doctor because my ambition is to become a primary care practicioner. Although I think the nursing and therapy models are effective complements to the medical model, my goals are to be the first contact for patients, to develop strong relationships through long-term continuing care, and to emphasize preventative medicine and patient education. Also, the extended period of time required to complete medical school and the additional burdens physicians typically accept would conflict with other personal goals of family life and dedicated community service. I'm aware that I plan to enter a primary care field that is struggling. PCP's are strained by shrinking numbers of practicioners and swelling patient populations. Reimbursement is relatively low, and the evolving clinical skills needed to treat a large scope of health concerns are difficult to maintain. Nevertheless, I believe PAs are a part of the answer to the primary care problem in the US, and, alongside physicians, will continue to form the backbone of healthcare delivery. As an aspiring primary care PA, I anticipate becoming involved in the coordination of free and reduced-cost healthcare at one of the volunteer clinics, like the Wildflower Clinic, in the Jacksonville area.

In closing, the strength and attractiveness of the PA profession have become apparent to me through the way Physician Assistants combine teamwork, a focus on the medical model, and the ability to engage patients in one on one relationships. This blend, unique in the medical field, provides for a rewarding career and many satisfied patients.

I'm probably not in much of a position to critique since I'm applying right now too...definitely not an expert! Of all the PS I have read, this is the first time I've seen one pulled off in a conversational tone. It really kept me hooked and showcased your personality! Most of these are written with a very serious, formal tone. You make a lot of really good points in here, especially about reasons for choosing PA over other professions. You have definitely done your research and put in the effort! The one thing I would change is the sentence fragment in the 1st paragraph "And here's why." It is a little too conversational... Just skip right to the next sentence. Also, is impactful a word? It may be, but double check first :)

The most valuable advice I received was to go through my essay and remove all the extra words that aren't adding to the meat of what you are trying to say. For instance, take out the second part of the sentence in "The PA profession is the right fit for many reasons, but here are some of the main ones." Just say that the PA profession is the right fit for many reasons. Then go on and give your reasons! Hope this helps! Good luck.

I'm probably not in much of a position to critique since I'm applying right now too...definitely not an expert! Of all the PS I have read, this is the first time I've seen one pulled off in a conversational tone. It really kept me hooked and showcased your personality! Most of these are written with a very serious, formal tone. You make a lot of really good points in here, especially about reasons for choosing PA over other professions. You have definitely done your research and put in the effort! The one thing I would change is the sentence fragment in the 1st paragraph "And here's why." It is a little too conversational... Just skip right to the next sentence. Also, is impactful a word? It may be, but double check first :)

The most valuable advice I received was to go through my essay and remove all the extra words that aren't adding to the meat of what you are trying to say. For instance, take out the second part of the sentence in "The PA profession is the right fit for many reasons, but here are some of the main ones." Just say that the PA profession is the right fit for many reasons. Then go on and give your reasons! Hope this helps! Good luck.

I too wrote a real, down-to-earth, conversational PS, but after several critiques from several people I realized that it might not be a good idea. I managed to make it more formal while still keeping my personality in it. It is up to you, but it seems to be a big risk in my opinion. Oh and it is spelled practitioner, not practicioner. I do not think I would keep the part about choosing PA over MD because MD is too hard (at least I think this is how it will be read). You can emphasize what you like about PA without making it sound like an easier way to practice medicine. my $.005 since I am not an adcom and am only pre-pa myself.....

I too wrote a real, down-to-earth, conversational PS, but after several critiques from several people I realized that it might not be a good idea. I managed to make it more formal while still keeping my personality in it. It is up to you, but it seems to be a big risk in my opinion. Oh and it is spelled practitioner, not practicioner. I do not think I would keep the part about choosing PA over MD because MD is too hard (at least I think this is how it will be read). You can emphasize what you like about PA without making it sound like an easier way to practice medicine. my $.005 since I am not an adcom and am only pre-pa myself.....

Thank you both for taking the time to read and analyze my essay!

I am taking your advice to heart. It is conversational, and I want to take a risk but I'm not sure I have the guts to... ha. I will probably just cut some of it. PRACTITIONER ahhh wow. Thanks for catching that, wca.

Thank you both for taking the time to read and analyze my essay!

I am taking your advice to heart. It is conversational, and I want to take a risk but I'm not sure I have the guts to... ha. I will probably just cut some of it. PRACTITIONER ahhh wow. Thanks for catching that, wca.

Why am I knocking on the doorway to the start of a PA career? Well, because I would love to come in, trade my jacket for a lab coat, and stay for around 40 years. To me, it's the best house on the healthcare block.way too informal

I've found a fast track to personal and professional fruition within the PA field. kinda sounds like you want to take the easy way

And professionally,starting a sentence with AND?

I did the same thing with my initial PS, it needs to be re-written a few more times at least. Start over and make sure it's fairly formal.

Also try not to state the obvious"Secondly, PAs are committed to the medical model and continuing education: two cornerstones of healthcare. The medical model has facilitated healing for hundreds of years by emphasizing a scientific, biologic approach to health.

You're telling ADCOMS this? It just appears that you're lazy and didn't take the time to really make every word count.

Good luck

Why am I knocking on the doorway to the start of a PA career? Well, because I would love to come in, trade my jacket for a lab coat, and stay for around 40 years. To me, it's the best house on the healthcare block.way too informal

I've found a fast track to personal and professional fruition within the PA field. kinda sounds like you want to take the easy way

And professionally,starting a sentence with AND?

I did the same thing with my initial PS, it needs to be re-written a few more times at least. Start over and make sure it's fairly formal.

Also try not to state the obvious"Secondly, PAs are committed to the medical model and continuing education: two cornerstones of healthcare. The medical model has facilitated healing for hundreds of years by emphasizing a scientific, biologic approach to health.

You're telling ADCOMS this? It just appears that you're lazy and didn't take the time to really make every word count.

Good luck

Archived