How to do research/poster presentation during rotations?

Hello everyone,

I'm a second year PA student about to start my emergency med rotation. I'm interested in doing research on an EM topic and submitting it for presentation at the SEMPA or AAPA conference, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I have limited research experience apart from being a lab tech for a geneticist, so I'm starting from scratch. But I'm motivated if given the guidance.

I'd like to learn about what kinds of research students are able to do over the short (5-6 week) time span of a rotation, but can't find a way to filter those out in general academic search engines, etc. 

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated!

What kind of research?  Like, regarding pts or pt information?  The only thing I could imagine you being able to do in that short of time is by using established/ already collected data and even then trying to accomplish that on top of your rotation is a lofty goal.

Your best bet might be to find someone, an MD, PA, etc on your rotation and express interest with research.  They might have a project or know of someone who does that would be willing to at least show you what they are doing.  But an original project in 5-6 weeks when you are starting that rotation soon and have nothing planned?  I wouldn't get my hopes up.  There is a lot of planning and approval involved for research projects.

Thanks for the feedback, MT2PA. I assume the research doesn't all need to be completed during the rotation, but I just don't want my ED rotation to come and go in case I do need to collect information during that time for a project.

Since it seems many PA students present research posters are conferences, I'm wondering how they do it. I'm open to any kind of emergency med-oriented projects, and I believe case studies will be considered for acceptance at conferences too. I just don't have any idea of how to get the ball rolling with developing a project. Any PAs or PA students out there who have actually done a research project/case study and presented it at a conference before?

Your school will tell you what research you need to do.  Other research, save for after graduation and PANCE pass.

By all means, keep a notebook of things you want to explore, studies you'd like to build a meta-analysis to include, and the like, but beware of taking on extra stuff in your clinical rotations.  You should be spending every possible waking hour either at your rotation, decompressing from your day, documenting your rotation for school, reading up on stuff you saw in your rotation, or prepping for end-of-rotation examinations. Those are, collectively, job one while in your clinical year; the research can come next year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By rookiejay
      I wish we had Telemed as a specialty topic 
      I have been looking for work in Temed for years. The AAPA is now pushing to get us into the role and a new website 
      "Telehealth
      Many PAs have asked about opportunities in virtual medicine and telehealth. The Medicare program reimburses PAs for providing all covered telehealth services in the same manner as physicians. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services temporarily expanded telehealth and telemedicine services to enable beneficiaries to receive a wider range of healthcare services without having to travel to an office, clinic, or health care facility. PAs are fully included in the telehealth and telemedicine expansion program. PAs can find out more information about telehealth, telemedicine, and reimbursement at AAPA’s Reimbursement website. They may also be interested in joining AAPA’s special interest group, PAs in Virtual Medicine and Telemedicine (PAVMT)."
      https://www.pavmt.org/
      for PA interested in Telemed

• By JamesHealth
      Dear PA Student,
             My name is Dr. Leonard. I am a physician assistant and a PA educator. With the ongoing pandemic my concern for the future of the current PA students, especially those on clinical rotations, concerns me. This is why I am emailing students about PA Excel and their HELP line for PANCE review. I used this program 6 years ago and it has only gotten better! It is a PANCE review like no other. I do NOT work for PA Excel, although I may do some anatomy and physiology review for them in the future, but I love and believe in their product!
            But check them out for yourselves, do your homework but I can guarantee this program is the best and most affordable. And because I am such a big shot, lol jk, no but I know the CEO, he gave me my own code to give students to get them 30% off. I was like, a third? That is crazy. Anyways, I hope you use it. Feel free to give this code: evan30 to anyone and everyone you care too whom you think would benefit from this impressive PANCE review. They have virtual clinical rotations as well that are ARC-PA approved; if your PA program is struggling to get clinical rotations during this pandemic. 
      Here is the direct link:
      https://helpcampus.com/membership-options/?_s2member_vars=page..level..1..page..78996..Lw%3D%3D&_s2member_sig=1586375631-f3148aa7ff0f97cb30a3a2450088f0f8
      But here is the main website page in case you think I am sending you some crazy spam link lol:
      https://paexcel.com/
      Twenty-five universities use PA Excel for their entire program to use. I think this is a good way to a. stay fresh for rotations and b. prepare for the PANCE. Again, the discount code is evan30.
      Best of Luck and Good Studying,
                                                       Dr. Leonard, MS, PA-C
    • By JamesHealth
      Dear PA Student,
             My name is Dr. Leonard. I am a physician assistant and a PA educator. With the ongoing pandemic my concern for the future of the current PA students, especially those on clinical rotations, concerns me. This is why I am emailing students about PA Excel and their HELP line for PANCE review. I used this program 6 years ago and it has only gotten better! It is a PANCE review like no other. I do NOT work for PA Excel, although I may do some anatomy and physiology review for them in the future, but I love and believe in their product!
            But check them out for yourselves, do your homework but I can guarantee this program is the best and most affordable. And because I am such a big shot, lol jk, no but I know the CEO, he gave me my own code to give students to get them 30% off. I was like, a third? That is crazy. Anyways, I hope you use it. Feel free to give this code: evan30 to anyone and everyone you care too whom you think would benefit from this impressive PANCE review.
      Here is the direct link:
      https://helpcampus.com/membership-options/?_s2member_vars=page..level..1..page..78996..Lw%3D%3D&_s2member_sig=1586375631-f3148aa7ff0f97cb30a3a2450088f0f8
      But here is the main website page in case you think I am sending you some crazy spam link lol:
      https://paexcel.com/
      Twenty-five universities use PA Excel for their entire program to use. I think this is a good way to a. stay fresh for rotations and b. prepare for the PANCE. Again, the discount code is evan30.
      Best of Luck and Good Studying,
                                                       Dr. Leonard, MS, PA-C
    • By jpcowl9
      Hi everyone, 
      I am looking for a capstone rotation in Austin, TX. I am graduating in December and the rotation would take place from late Aug to early Dec. I'm not looking for any specific specialty. Anything helps!! Thank you
    • By JacksonLane
      Hi All, 
      I am currently a PA who is in a fellowship for epidemiology which is about to end and I am trying to move back closer to Nevada where my family lives (we have a baby boy, now, and really want him to have grandparents around). I was wondering if anyone who lives in Las Vegas/Reno or SLC can share their thoughts on the job market, practice environment, and salaries in NV vs. UT?
      I have a strong background in public health and epidemiology/research, but I am thinking I might switch back to medicine for a while for the pay (my parents don't have enough money saved for retirement) and to keep my clinical skills fresh. I am interested in emergency medicine or any positions that might be well suited for someone with 2 years of Emed experience.  Thanks for your consideration! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More