em photo quiz( occasional series)

Given the extent of the deep partial thickness extremity burns, what would have made you evac her to Emmanuel directly vs. scheduling outpatient f/u?

any 3rd degree burn or more involvement of plantar surface/circumferential burns. she was seen 12 hrs later at the burn clinic.  did fine. I saw her at around 8 pm, called them and made a next day f/u appt.

last pt I sent straight there had extensive painless 3rd degree burn to back from molten aluminum. didn't even want to be there. came in because "boss made me"

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, karebear12892 said:

Agree w/ above. Consider Atropine or Dobutamine as an adjunct to pacing. Reverse beta-blockers w/ Glucagon if applicable. T-waves in the precordial waves look hyperacute - concern for hyperkalemia vs. impending MI. Check electrolytes and troponin. 

atropine x 2 with no effect. good pick up on the t-waves. stable bp. no beta blockers or calcium channel blocker. likely 2 to evolving mi. K nl. trop #1 nl, transferred before trop #2. mg 1.4. interesting, but unk if causative.  not paced because relatively stable. pacer pads at bedside in case became hypotensive or more symptomatic. remember pacing is not benign. you typically need some sedation and analgesics. it feels like getting punched 60 times/minute.

• Upvote 2

I've always understood high level heart blocks to be almost universally refractory to atropine...rate would probably respond to dopamine (over dobutamine which is mostly inotropic, right?) but that's nothing we'd want to do to a guy with what we're guessing is myocardial ischemia.

Cool case, thanks for sharing.

I asked cardiology if they wanted me to pace or otherwise influence this pts rate while they were on a 90 min ride to them and they said no. I told the medics to pace if became hypotensive or developed chest pain. I was pretty sure it was 3rd degree block and no response to atropine clinched it. the machine's interpretation was actually "electronic atrial paced rhythm" in this pt who does not have an implanted pacer. the tiny Ps march out independent of the QRS, making the dx, best seen on the long lead 2 strip at the bottom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lkth487 said:

Why didn't they want to pace?  That's a long ride....

no hypotension. no chest pain. sob resolved with o2. basically asymptomatic aside from HR. would you want to be paced for 90 min if you didn't have to be? it's like getting punched 60 times/min...and the medics had pacing capability if they became symptomatic during the ride.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

no hypotension. no chest pain. sob resolved with o2. basically asymptomatic aside from HR. would you want to be paced for 90 min if you didn't have to be? it's like getting punched 60 times/min...and the medics had pacing capability if they became symptomatic during the ride.

Fair enough!  That makes sense.

Edited by lkth487

On 10/7/2018 at 7:23 PM, karebear12892 said:

Agree w/ above. Consider Atropine or Dobutamine as an adjunct to pacing. Reverse beta-blockers w/ Glucagon if applicable. T-waves in the precordial waves look hyperacute - concern for hyperkalemia vs. impending MI. Check electrolytes and troponin. 

Good work!

If I were really concerned with hypotension and symptomatic bradycardia, I might go with a dirty epi drip. Take one cc of cardiac epi and inject into liter bag, then titrate to life. This will give you 1mcg/mL. All IV tubing has the gtt rate on the packaging, though you might to find someone with grey hair to remember how to calculate a gtt rate ?

We are using high dose insulin more than glucagon these days.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, karebear12892 said:

You're right, my mistake. Dopamine is recommended if hypotensive, unless they also have CHF, in which case you'd use Dobutamine instead.

Source: UpToDate algorithm 

Many the time I've seen the fellows throw dopamine onto a non-hypotensive patient with rates that they "just aren't comfortable with" with a resultant BP in the 180s+.

Dobutamine is a fantastic +ino and +chrono agent, but as has been mentioned above, agree with doing nothing if no symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MediMike said:

Many the time I've seen the fellows throw dopamine onto a non-hypotensive patient with rates that they "just aren't comfortable with" with a resultant BP in the 180s+.

Dobutamine is a fantastic +ino and +chrono agent, but as has been mentioned above, agree with doing nothing if no symptoms.

The old adage still holds true, treat the patient, not the monitor.

• Upvote 2