em photo quiz( occasional series)

Let me guess, the GSW was "It is Nothing" triaged to urgent care?

Been there before.  Had a patient triaged to me in fast track once as a "puncture wound".  He was firing an antique rifle which exploded, and felt something hot puncture his neck.  Take off the bandage and find a "puncture wound" (aka entrance wound) just lateral to the trachea; shot a quick plain film and sure enough there was a bullet lodged just neck to the hyoid.  His fast track visit ended up with a quick couple of lines, and ambulance, and a transfer to the closest trauma center.

If anyone missed this widened mediastinum you either have to repeat first year of school with a class full of "gunners" or else take PANRE for 3 consecutive years as punishment.  For the record, echocardiography is witchcraft in my book aside from the four chamber view (just can't get the hang of it).  

For the record, echocardiography is witchcraft in my book aside from the four chamber view (just can't get the hang of it).

Come to the dark side; learn to love the echo :)

There are a lot of great references online, but I'm finding the best thing is just doing a lot of them. I'll grab echos on stable chest pain and syncope patients, just to get the practice; 4 chamber is nice, but there is a lot more info in the other views.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Um, the title of your picture shows up. Unfair advantage. Never seen one before, though.

woops. I had never seen one before either. they come in a magazine like a nail gun and hold sod in place. guy missed bone and no obvious tendon injury. digital block and just pulled it out.

Ouch. Looks like the middle third of the tibia disintegrated on impact. From the bone debris pattern it seems the projectile traveled down. Looks unsalvageable.

Well clearly I'm not the surgeon... But it was ex fixed. We have 8 surgeons in our group and I don't routinely see this one's patients so unfortunately have no follow up information

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...