em photo quiz( occasional series)

diagnostic peritoneal lavage (there's one for the students to look up!)

I looked up peritoneal lavage and I quote from General Practice Notebook, 

Diagnostic peritoneal lavage was introduced as a more accurate means than needle aspiration of assessing visceral injury following blunt abdominal trauma.

Diagnostic peritoneal lavage may be considered when there is:

• an alteration in the level of responsiveness of the patient to abdominal examination resulting from head injury, alcohol, drugs or spinal cord damage.
  • absence of specific abdominal signs
  • when it is impossible to continue to monitor potential changes in abdominal findings due to the patient undergoing other required procedures, e.g. neurosurgical operation or maintenance on a respirator

It is said to be up to 98% reliable in determining the presence of absence of intra-abdominal injury following blunt trauma. However, poor predictive value is found for injuries to the retroperitoneal portion of the duodenum and colon, pancreas, and extraperitoneal part of the urinary bladder. Laparoscopic diagnosis is an increasingly favoured option.

I thought it was mediastinal air along the right heart border edge as seen on CT, i.e.-mediastinal ptx.

I, too, thought I saw mediastinal air on the CT image.  I also missed the sulcus sign.  Even knowing it's been identified on the CXR doesn't help.

Good case, though.  Thanks for sharing.

I saw it, but it's really subtle and doesn't persuade me, just looking at it in isolation. I doubt I would have gotten a supine CXR in the first place -- but that's gut instinct. I wonder about the sensitivity and specificity of deep sulcus sign on supine CXR, vs. looking for apical air on a standing CXR. Then again, I just said those are terrible...

Long story short, like EMED says, clinical diagnosis and you confirm it with a CT.

• 4 weeks later...

New grad heading into EM as soon as hospital credoentialling is done (maybe July/August ish)... Thanks for sharing these, and also being honest when you experts miss something. Makes me feel a little better that even after many years of practice we are all still learning - another reason I love medicine :) 

• 2 weeks later...

80 yr old lady, lives alone. trip/fall landing on wrist. ortho said "splint and send to fracture clinic in 1 week". your thoughts? (sorry, didn't copy the lateral- it's as ugly as you think with significant displacement, etc).

this meets so many criteria for operative treatment, I literally do not have the time or energy to list them all. TFCC tear, ulnar styloid displacement, definitely unstable druj, the list goes on.

he said something about her age and it not being a big deal to which I said this lady was totally with it, otherwise healthy on no meds and lived alone, with a significant injury to her dominant arm. he basically took it after I guilted him into it. his resident did the case. it's not like he even needed to get out of bed as it was the middle of the afternoon....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

new one on me: female psych pt brought in by caregiver with complaint of possible vag fb inserted by pt: lateral view confirmed position. removed by gyn using procedural sedation. ( I didn't want to lacerate anything. ends of the spring were sharp).

post-73688-0-25412100-1404935831_thumb.jpg

new one on me: female psych pt brought in by caregiver with complaint of possible vag fb inserted by pt: lateral view confirmed position. removed by gyn using procedural sedation. ( I didn't want to lacerate anything. ends of the spring were sharp).

I would've made so many tigger jokes...

Did you tell her: No need to get your panties all twisted?

I'm here all week, folks.