Shadowing complications/problems in NYC

So, I have been searching for a person to shadow here in NYC since the beginning of this year. After calling a long list of PAs, inquiring from volunteer offices, calling schools for advice, networking w/ other professions (ie nurses, doctors), I'm still not lucky to find a PA to observe/work with. However, a month ago, I found a PA from a hospital and was willing to help me, BUT (here's the huge but)... the hospital won't let me because of HIPPA. :saddd:

With all these circumstances, is there anybody here who can give me a heavenly advice to HOW I CAN GO AROUND THIS? Or maybe to former pre-pa, where did you get your PA shadowing hours in NYC?

Thanks guys!

Well I shadowed a PA in NY, specifically in Lenox Hill hospital. I don't know how far you live from that hospital but if you go to their ortho department and ask they shouldn't have any problems. I didn't need no physicals or any other paperwork in order to shadow. I have an aunt in Lenox Hill hospital working in the cardiac OR so that is how I got connected with the PA in the ortho department. See if you can get in contact with them. Good luck.

Well I shadowed a PA in NY, specifically in Lenox Hill hospital. I don't know how far you live from that hospital but if you go to their ortho department and ask they shouldn't have any problems. I didn't need no physicals or any other paperwork in order to shadow. I have an aunt in Lenox Hill hospital working in the cardiac OR so that is how I got connected with the PA in the ortho department. See if you can get in contact with them. Good luck.

Thanks for that info! I am currently with Lenox Hill actually. I found a PA in the radiology department but the volunteer service stopped me right away!!! :/ Do you think I should get in contact w/ the PA I was supposed to be working with? She doesn't have any problems w/ me, its just the volunteer office. arrgh.

I didn't go through any volunteer office in order to be granted shadowing opportunity. I just emailed the PA I was going to shadow and she emailed back stating I can start the next week. My guess is your shadowing within the hospital(going through the volunteer department), when I shadowed the PA she worked for a private clinic within Lenox Hill. That is the reason I had no problems. See if you can find a PA that works in a private clinic in Lenox Hill. I know what you mean when the volunteer department stopped you, because I had to go through an insane process to shadow a PA in my Dad's hospital. So I didn't bother with the paper work, and contacted the PA that worked for the private clinic. The PA at the private clinic didn't care about any paperwork and was eager to help me get started asap. Also I noticed your applying to Touro Bayshore and they are asking you 20 hours. I was in your same position, so I know your circumstances. See if you can get shadowing done in a private clinic, since they tend to be more lenient rather than going through the volunteer department for a hospital.

HIPPA is strictly enforced now. I shadowed a PA in the OR at one point (pre-pa, 2005) , the next year I returned for kicks and they told me I'm not longer allowed to enter the OR. With the surge of applicants, i can see it being considerable harder to shadow PA's in a hospital setting, PM me and I'll get you a person in Lenox Hill to contact.

However no promises, as the year is currently 2011 and many things have changed. I believe the Volunteer dept might still stall you by forcing to do menial work of 50-75 hours before you earn the privilege to shadow their PA's.

• 6 years later...

Archived