PA compensation

Does anyone know if being an ATC with a MS adds to my monetary worth for my first PA job? Thanks

that is a very valuable combo(pa/atc).

the local ortho group here uses ONLY pa-c/atc's and they are the oldest and most highly regarded ortho group in the region

Guest guetzow

For someone like you who already has ATC, it should help. Take words like "Old", and "Respectable" with a grain of salt, however. Plenty of those folks use such catch phrases to intimidate your new grad salary downward(And downward and downward......). Go get em!

• 3 months later...
Guest kjmaryeski

I'm not a PA (yet) and find orthopedics very interesting. I've enjoyed everyone's posts and found them helpful, however I'd like to know the meaning of CME. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Can I get a general concesous regarding compensation for a 2nd yr sports ortho PA? I am in CA. We avg about 400-450 cases this year, and avg about 100 pts/week.

My initial package was 75K with percentage bonus based on production, which I won't know until mid January, when the numbers for the whole year come in. Still lots of AR outstanding, which I am assuming takes about 30 - 60 days to collect.

Thanks,

ATC

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question, all this talk about salary has me a bit nervous, leaving RRT job (made $64,000 last year with OT and Noc shift differential) to go to PA school. I really want to be a PA and no matter what, the money will not be the deciding issue, practicing medicine is. My question is: does anyone ever have to fall back on other part time jobs (ie Nursing, RRT, PT etc...) to supplement their incomes as a practicing PA. I hope not, but wanted to get input from experienced PAs. I do want (and need) to make more as a RRT esp with all I am spending/borrowing/sacrificing on PA school. I think I will in the end(and more challenged and fufilled to boot), but some input is appreciated.

Thanks

I have really appreciated the repsonses that have been made, and I have gained some (limited) insight about salaries matched with jobs. I sure wish that others would give their data, i.e pay, number of patients seen per week, other responsibilities, call etc.....

I tried to use some of information before to approach my doc about a raise, but he took the higher ($120-$135) salaries to be salary + all other perks (bonus, benefits, CME, pension) as part of that total. I believe that there are people making 120-135 as a base salary plus other benefits????

I am really curious to see the total packages people make matched with their work load. I currently believe that I should make a heck of lot more for the amount of work and responsibilites, but I have nothing (comparative) to base it on. I guess it comes down to people making as much as their doc's believe they are worth. I believe we are worth a lot more than we get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Just a quick question, all this talk about salary has me a bit nervous, leaving RRT job (made $64,000 last year with OT and Noc shift differential) to go to PA school. I really want to be a PA and no matter what, the money will not be the deciding issue, practicing medicine is. My question is: does anyone ever have to fall back on other part time jobs (ie Nursing, RRT, PT etc...) to supplement their incomes as a practicing PA. I hope not, but wanted to get input from experienced PAs. I do want (and need) to make more as a RRT esp with all I am spending/borrowing/sacrificing on PA school. I think I will in the end(and more challenged and fufilled to boot), but some input is appreciated.

Thanks

I-

A friend I went to PA school with works in Ortho in CT, and he is a former X ray tech; he found that he could sometimes make more $ doing Xray per diem than OT for his ortho practice! He doesn't do it to "supplement" his income, simply to have "play money".....take home message- keep your other licenses active!

Guest tmarkie
I have really appreciated the repsonses that have been made, and I have gained some (limited) insight about salaries matched with jobs. I sure wish that others would give their data, i.e pay, number of patients seen per week, other responsibilities, call etc.....

I tried to use some of information before to approach my doc about a raise, but he took the higher ($120-$135) salaries to be salary + all other perks (bonus, benefits, CME, pension) as part of that total. I believe that there are people making 120-135 as a base salary plus other benefits????

I am really curious to see the total packages people make matched with their work load. I currently believe that I should make a heck of lot more for the amount of work and responsibilites, but I have nothing (comparative) to base it on. I guess it comes down to people making as much as their doc's believe they are worth. I believe we are worth a lot more than we get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the most part, your doc is right. Don't just look at the base look at all the other stuff too - thats where your total income will add up (ie OT Bonuses, Call stipend, % of assist fee after hrs, etc etc ) Bosses look at national averages of base salaries, and the amounts your talking about far exceed what is being reported as the norm. Are some of us making that much - sure, but it's by the "back door " approach, not just straight salary. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos081.htm Check out the Dept of labor stats - a lot of PAs make more than whats being reported.;)

I-

A friend I went to PA school with works in Ortho in CT, and he is a former X ray tech; he found that he could sometimes make more $ doing Xray per diem than OT for his ortho practice! He doesn't do it to "supplement" his income, simply to have "play money".....take home message- keep your other licenses active!

I don't think the state of CT is one of the higher salary states. Having been an RT-R myself prior to PA school, I think it's not a bad idea to keep the license up, at least for a while until you're sure and more settled. After all, it's only like 15 bucks a year and whatever you do for CME for PA you can log in for your CEUs for RT. While in PA school, I simply used classes as CEUs and it ended up being like a gazillion. Keeping the RT license up--if you want--is wicked easy.

Guest tmarkie
Natl Base Salary Without Benefits On Last Yrs Survey.

Many Senior Em/ortho/surgical Pa's Make A Base Salary >125k Before Benefits.

Then why isn't that being reported? It would greatly help those of us who are renegotiation our contracts to have "Outside validation" (a term given to me by a doc when advising me on negotiation tactics). Even the AAPA stats are low if in fact there are PAs making a BASE of greater than 125. :confused:

I personally know over 20 pa's in my area making > 125k/yr.

most of my friends from pa school working in em/ortho/surgery make at least 110k with most making more. unfortunately the top of the aapa survey is " >120 k/yr" and does not take into account those who make much more.the natl avg last yr for all pa em providers(even including new grads ) was 90 k.

what you need is a stat from aapa showing how much the avg pa with your yrs of experience working in your specialty makes. I believe they will do a customized salary profile for a fee at your request.this will take into account call responsibilities, o.r. time, etc

best of luck.-e

• Upvote 1

I would like to see some data showing that high of salaries. Also it would be helpful to have salaries matched with work load and/or other responsibilities. I believe if someone is seeing twice the number of patients, taking call, rounding, consults, surgery assist these things should factor into the total compensation. Why does there have to be a limit of what we can make, if you can help to generate hugh income why not be compensated appropriately. I have heard before that mid levels should be paid about 30% of what they generate.

Also those friends of yours that make >120k what other benefits are they receiving? i.e. ins, cme, pension, bonus

"Also those friends of yours that make >120k what other benefits are they receiving? i.e. ins, cme, pension, bonus"

medical/dental/vision for whole family, professional fees, nccpa dues, dea fees, $2000 cme/yr, long term disability, retirement= equivalent to 25% of yearly income, 100k life insurance policy......these are all senior pa's with years of experience, not new grads....

That is very impressive compensation! Do you know their work load? Hours worked, # of patients seen per day or week, call, other tasks required?

20-30 pts/day in 3 different settings which rotate:

trauma ctr er, inpatient ed obs unit,satelite facilty as solo em coverage.

avg provider works 160-170 hrs/month. no call. nights and regular weekends and holidays required

• 4 years later...

I work as an ortho PA in Western Ky. I work in the OR Mon.-Thurs. until about 1:00, then start afternoon clinic until 5. I see my own patients and do all the H&Ps for OR. I do some of the in house consults and rounds, but not all. I also do all the casting and splints in the office in the afternoons. The 2 docs I work with usually have F/U for casting scheduled in the afternoons. Also have morning clinic on Fri. until noon. It's pretty collegial because whoever is free does the ER consults. We share the post op follow up stuff. We usually get out on time unless something comes in the ER. I do not have assigned call, but I am usually available if something comes up. They generally do not call me if its something they can handle without assistance. I feel like I have it pretty good right now. I have been a PA for 6 years and did EM/FT for 4. Prior to that I was an RN and scrub tech. Prior to that a Navy Corpsman. I have 2 great docs to work with, one has been in practice for 22yrs and one for 2. Expecting another doc in about 3yrs. We do general ortho and joints.

Salary $105,000

CME $2000/yr

Malpractice paid

Health paid except dif. for family

Life paid 1 X Salary

15 days PTO

Holidays off

5 days for CME

Pension/profit sharing paid

I work as an ortho PA in Western Ky. I work in the OR Mon.-Thurs. until about 1:00, then start afternoon clinic until 5. I see my own patients and do all the H&Ps for OR. I do some of the in house consults and rounds, but not all. I also do all the casting and splints in the office in the afternoons. The 2 docs I work with usually have F/U for casting scheduled in the afternoons. Also have morning clinic on Fri. until noon. It's pretty collegial because whoever is free does the ER consults. We share the post op follow up stuff. We usually get out on time unless something comes in the ER. I do not have assigned call, but I am usually available if something comes up. They generally do not call me if its something they can handle without assistance. I feel like I have it pretty good right now. I have been a PA for 6 years and did EM/FT for 4. Prior to that I was an RN and scrub tech. Prior to that a Navy Corpsman. I have 2 great docs to work with, one has been in practice for 22yrs and one for 2. Expecting another doc in about 3yrs. We do general ortho and joints.

Salary $105,000

CME $2000/yr

Malpractice paid

Health paid except dif. for family

Life paid 1 X Salary

15 days PTO

Holidays off

5 days for CME

Pension/profit sharing paid

Wow. You earned it! Good stuff.

• 2 months later...

One very important factor in all of the salary data is how long a provider has been in ortho. That's a large contributing factor--for sure. Some of the salaries in this thread seem quite low... but, some might be early-on in the area of ortho.

BTW, what's up with PA salaries in CA? One of the most costly states to live in, (if not the highest cost of living in the nation) and often lower pay... I don't get that one...

Random:

Somebody asked if being an ATC along with being a PA would have higher salary offer for a new-grad PA.

IMHO: from what I've seen, it more helps a new-grad get a position but I've not seen any difference in the pay at the practices I've been exposed to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest medical22

How does it affect a PA if the physician uses the hospital to pay the PA? Many docs are doing this these days, but I don't know the details.

Also, do the PAs dictate their own notes?