PA compensation

Just had a family member tell me I should not settle for a position making 150k because he knows of a Doc paying his PAs 800k in orthopedic surgery.  This is about 5 times the highest national salary I have seen on AAPAs salary report.  Is it safe to say this is ridiculous?  I would be thrilled to make 150k after 5 years of practice, let alone as a new grad. What are some of the highest PA salaries you've heard of, just wondering. 

Just had a family member tell me I should not settle for a position making 150k because he knows of a Doc paying his PAs 800k in orthopedic surgery.  This is about 5 times the highest national salary I have seen on AAPAs salary report.  Is it safe to say this is ridiculous?  I would be thrilled to make 150k after 5 years of practice, let alone as a new grad. What are some of the highest PA salaries you've heard of, just wondering. 

The vast majority of ortho docs don't even make 800k annually. Your family member is mistaken.

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

I have 5 years of Ortho surgery experience.  I first assist mainly in Spine surgery but can easily cover other cases,  ie total joints, ACL, trauma, etc.  I'm due for a review of my contract and pay raise.  This is a summary of what I currently have: 

base pay:  $115,000

on-call pay: 1 week every 5 weeks, base pay is $750. If I assist in surgery then I get an additional $100 per case, $200 per case if Spine.

PTO: 3 weeks, includes 1 week for CME

CME: $1000/year

Additional benefits like 401K, sick leave, etc

My main concern is the base pay.  What should an Ortho surgery PA be making after 5 years of experience?  I live and work near Los Angeles.  Thanks in advance. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, OrthoPAJaxter said:

I have 5 years of Ortho surgery experience.  I first assist mainly in Spine surgery but can easily cover other cases,  ie total joints, ACL, trauma, etc.  I'm due for a review of my contract and pay raise.  This is a summary of what I currently have: 

base pay:  $115,000

on-call pay: 1 week every 5 weeks, base pay is $750. If I assist in surgery then I get an additional $100 per case, $200 per case if Spine.

PTO: 3 weeks, includes 1 week for CME

CME: $1000/year

Additional benefits like 401K, sick leave, etc

My main concern is the base pay.  What should an Ortho surgery PA be making after 5 years of experience?  I live and work near Los Angeles.  Thanks in advance. 

I would think that your salary is low. The cost of living for California (i'm assuming) is high which should make your base pay alone higher than some other states. I got offered 116k as a new graduate in Texas. I think with 5 yrs of experience you should be making much more. How much are you bringing in annually?