PA compensation

I am researching the general compensation of mid-level orthopaedic providers across the country. Anyone interested please provide solo or multi physician practice, general salary, number of patients seen per week, surgical assist or not, on-call or not, time-off, number of hours worked per week, other compensation (insurance, CME, pension)? The data would be quite helpful.

I am a fellow mid-level orthopedic provider. I am gathering the data to present to the surgeon I work for, in hopes of a better salary. I have a few weeks until I approach him, I hope to have some real data to compare what I do and get paid to what others in the country are being paid. I will give you my data.

Pay 75K salary

Hours per week: 60-70

Patients seen per week: 170 (in office)

Assist in surgery

On call q3rd night and 3rd weekend

See all in house patients, and all consults

Pays for CME courses

No pension

Thanks for the reply

BONES,

Are you a PA, NP, OPA-C, etc?

I have just negotiated a new contract with a new employer in upstate New York with my compensation parameters below. I have a little over a year of experience as a PA. The practice where I currently work is disolving... I see approximately 80 patients per week. I first assist 2 days per week. My credentials are MHS, RPA-C, ATC. As you know salaries and benefits vary with demographics... New York is a lower paying state.... which part of the country are you from?

Like Bones, I would be interested to hear about other ortho PA contract parameters. In searching for my new job I turned down many opportunities that did not use PAs correctly, nor compensated appropriately.

Thanks for bringing up the topic....

Salary: 68k salary

Vacation – 20 days per year, including five days which may be used for CME.

CME allowance - $2000 per year.

On-call schedule – One weekend in four; one weeknight Monday – Thursday (2nd Call for surgery - and round on the weekends).

Medical Malpractice – Employer pays in full; an occurrence-based policy providing coverage of not less than $1 million per person/$3 million aggregate.

Professional membership dues and license fees – Employer pays in full. Includes AAPA & NYSSPA annual dues and DEA, NCCPA, & NYS PA license renewal.

Medical/Dental Insurance – employee coverage paid 100%, incremental family coverage paid 60% by Orthopedic Associates, 40% employee contribution.

Sick Time – 10 days per year.

Personal time – 2 days per year.

Profit-Sharing Plan (401k) – Eligible to participate after 4 months employment (Employee-paid)

Pension (Money Purchase) Plan – Eligible to participate after one year employment (Employer contribution)

• Upvote 1

I have a good friend in connecticut working in ortho with these stats:

surgical residency grad 10 yrs out of residency. senior pa of 4 in group.

base salary 90k/yr + 1st assist fees+ production bonus, total $ package 125-135k/yr. most of the practice is professional athletes knees/shoulders.

2 days/week in or, 3 days in clinic. 75 clinic pts/week

medical/dental/vision/401k/loan repayment yr for yr

1500 cme/yr for 1 conference plus 1 week with pay for conference

malpractice/3 weeks vacation/yr

call 1 week/month and 2 weekends/month

it's a great package but this is about his 4th surgical job and he is a residency grad with a masters degree and some supervisory/scheduling duties.

• Upvote 1

Guest ortho2433

Ortho Spine

2.5 - 3 days OR

2.5 days clinic

Surgcal call only: 1 night/week and every 6th weekend

Compensation: 50% of collections

I pull a monthly draw based on lowest month of collections the year prior and each quarter we settle up the difference after all health, dental, Mal Ins, and other fees (licenes, applic, cme, ect)

amount of vacation is flexible (If I do not work, I do not bill, then there is no collection so I do not get Paid)

CME- is what ever I want to spend, it just comes out of money I have to clear.

Bottom line

Benfits- Family health/dental, 401k,

Average yearly salary after benifits taken out: $135

(But it seems to be going down slowly each year. As all PA-C know our reiumburssment is less and less each year, while those damm insurance companies keep charging more so they can make a higher profit. Maybee I should be in the insurance field)

All in all a pretty god set up. I am quite happy. It gives me a lot of flexibilty to do what I want.

• Upvote 1

Guest ortho2433

I practice in NC

8 years as PA-C

I get monthly reports from our billing department that shows for each pt I see in clinic or I assist in surgery on:

1. Amount billed

2. contract amount

3. Amount collected

4. Insurance Pending

5. Pt pending

6. Balance

We have a very proficient biling department that keeps good documentation and up to date on billing and reimbursment changes. We have a monthly lunch meeting with the billing department to go over accounts and try to iron out any disputes.

I'm going into my 3th month as a ortho PA. My base is $6,000 a month, with medical insurance and malpractice paid for by the M.D. He is a solo practitioner. I see about 70-80 patients a week, first assist when needed, do rounds on sundays on all post op stuff, as well as do his H & P's for all pre-op patients. I'm in southern california. I'm hoping my salary will get bumped up to at least $1000 more at the end of this month because I'm putting in a lot of hours. As far as vacation time, I get 3 paid weeks a year. I don't get anything for CME stuff because he doesn't know how expensive that can get.

• Upvote 1

A close friend of mine does ortho on an Oil Rig in the Arctic Sea for 6 months out of the year, the rest of the year he just kicks back and relaxes.

With profit sharing, bonuses, and his cut from the on rig surgery center he clears $200K/year.

The best part? Because it's in international waters, no MD co-sign required.

• Upvote 2

A close friend of mine does ortho on an Oil Rig in the Arctic Sea for 6 months out of the year, the rest of the year he just kicks back and relaxes.

With profit sharing, bonuses, and his cut from the on rig surgery center he clears $200K/year.

The best part? Because it's in international waters, no MD co-sign required.

obviously bs but almost funny.......

as an interesting aside one can make that kind of money on oil rigs in alaska doing em/urgent care but it is 24/7 for 2 weeks at a time then 2 weeks off.$ 55 hr x 24 hrs/dayx14days/month x12months=221 k/yr...and you need chart review wherever you are...it can happen a month after the fact and still be legal

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see how salaries are broken down.

My stats;

California

Base 75K

plus 25% of collections over 120% of avg of his (MD) 3 yrs collections.

Confusing: if he avg 100,000 over the last three years, I would get 25% of any collections over 120,000.

practice - 1st year started in Jan

20 clinic hours weekly - MD avg 100 patients - I see about 40 of those

OR 4 days per week - 10 -15 cases weekly (2-3 joints,rest scopes, acl,shoulders and fxr's)

rounds - Tues - Friday 7:30 am before clinic

call - 4 days/mo but MD only calls me if case and then I am paid 1.5 hourly

1000 cme, full health ins (dental, vision, medical), 3 month severence pay, hospital credentialing fees, malpractice fees, state licensing fees.

DC, ATC, PA-C

Interesting to see how salaries are broken down.

My stats;

California

Base 75K

plus 25% of collections over 120% of avg of his (MD) 3 yrs collections.

Confusing,but example: if he avg 100,000 over the last three years, I would get 25% of any collections over 120,000.

practice - 1st year started in Jan

20 clinic hours weekly - MD avg 100 patients - I see about 40 of those

OR 4 days per week - 10 -15 cases weekly (2-3 joints,rest scopes, acl,shoulders and fxr's)

rounds - Tues - Friday 7:30 am before clinic

call - 4 days/mo but MD only calls me if case and then I am paid 1.5 hourly

1000 cme, full health ins (dental, vision, medical), 3 month severence pay, hospital credentialing fees, malpractice fees, state licensing fees.

DC, ATC, PA-C

Guest tony1853

Thanks to all for posting that data. As a pre-PA student, I found it very informative!

Would anyone like to chime-in here and tell me if it would be unrealistic to expect to start at $80K per year base salary:

1) after graduating with a PA BS, and then doing a surgical residency (I would love either Montefiore or Yale/Norwalk)

2) practicing in NYC/NJ, or maybe CT

3) in CT or Ortho surgery?

Also bearing in that I will be done with PA school in 2008, and if I enter a residency, we will be in 2009...

Or am I way off the mark? Higher, lower??

Thanks a lot guys! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tony1853

Hi MCavanagh,

So what are the odds of you guys holding a spot for me for three years, until I get out of school?

SMILE SMILE

T

I work for a 13 Physician 11 PA practice in Western Mass with very low cost of living. This is my 8th year with the group base salary 95K with incentive bonus yearly between 15-25K. We start base pay for new PA's at 65k per year but have quick ramp up of 5K per year assuming good performance. Eligible for incentive program after 1 year of employment. 4 weeks of paid vacation to start plus one week of CME time. CME package includes 2K for conference expenses, plus 1K yearly for books, journals, supplies. Full Medical,dental, malpractice, disabilty covered by practice. 401K, profit sharing plan after 6mos.

We spend 60% of our time in the office, 40% or. Take call every 10th night and 10th weekend. There is talk however to having to PA's on call per weekend which I would be interested to here what others are paid for doing weekend call as we plan to charge them for this.

We are looking into creating our own LLC. and leasing our services to the Physicians. Anyone who has experience with similar arrangements I would be most appreciative if we could talk.

Lastely we are currently looking to add another PA/NP in the next 3-6 months if anyone is interested please contact me

MCavanagh

• 1 month later...

I am three years out of school and have worked in the greater Los Angeles area since graduation.

My first two years I was with a solo surgeon 100% spine. Started at $72,000 base and then 20% of collections above my base. My second year I only got a small bump in the base, but the bonus was going to be substantial, if the practice hadn't gone bankrupt, but that's another story.

I left and went to a practice that does everything ortho except spine. Because I didn't have a lot of experience with total joints, sports, etc they started my at $80,000 with a decent overtime payment plan. Now I'm closing in on the end of my contract and we will begin re-negotiations. Based on salary profiles and other offers that I've received I'm looking for a base of $90,000 with a percentage of collections

Guest khatereh

Does anyone know if being a chiropractor as well as a PA can get better compensation or job?

I am a chiro and will start PA school at Drew U this fall, that is if I dont chicken out!! I am nervous :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest JCoggs

For anyone that is an ATC + PA in ortho...

I am an ATC + soon to be PA in August, who is looking for ortho employment in NC. Does anyone know if being an ATC with a MS adds to my monetary worth for my first PA job? Thanks

JCoggs