SEMPA Conference 2016

I went 2 years ago and took several of the workshops.  The US workshop was pretty good.  The EKG workshop was T E R R I B L E ! !.  The doc/instructor blew through some EKGs in 15 minutes, then spent the next 2.5 hours talking about heart transplants.

Not what I needed, not what I paid money for. 

Another good US course is http://www.aheconline.com/

Best advanced EKG lectures I have found so far are the ones from ACEP CME.  Oustanding lectures that clarified brugada, WPW, wellens, etc. 

It will be my first time in San Diego as well. Are you all planning on staying in Manchester Grand Hyatt or you might look around?

dont ever stay at the conference hotel at any conference. stay a few blocks away for 1/2 the price. at aapa in may I paid 100/night a few blocks away while those at the hilton paid 250.

Anyone have thoughts on the SEMPA conference versus Essentials in terms of content? Trying to decide which one to attend this year

They're both good - and often have the same lecturers (I can almost recite Corey Slovis' HyperK lecture verbatim!).  But for my money Essentials is the winner.  I just went last month (my fifth).  Great discussions, very distilled current EM thinking and knowledge. Dave Newman's opening presentation was fantastic. They just moved it from the Paris to across the street at the Cosmopolitan.  Rooms are much nicer but the Chelsea Theater where they hold the conference is amazing (cash bar open up top at 4:00!).  And it's the EM:RAP guys and gals from USC:LAC, so it's like old friends.  I plan on heading back in May for the 15th anniversary. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you go, stay at the Grand Hyatt.  The closest hotels are the Marriott and Embassy Suites if staying off site.  But the Grand Hyatt is a fantastic hotel, completely worth staying at, and you will enjoy it.

Workshops are worth it (for the most part) but occasionally one gets botched.  But generally they are high caliber.

SEMPA vs. Essentials are two separate beasts.  Essentials is about EM education and of course, Mel, et al are great at what they do.  SEMPA is as much about meeting fellow PAs in EM as it is getting top-notch lectures, workshops, etc.  If you want to understand what is going on in the EM world FOR PAs, its SEMPA.  It you want just straight forward lectures, Essentials is hard to beat. But many of the lecturers are the same.

G

Essentials seems to be much more expensive though... ? SEMPA ~$480, EEM ~$900 last I checked

you can stay in vegas for 75/night vs 250 for SD. I can fly there for 99 dollars vs 300 for san diego, need car in san diego, not in vegas, etc.

I think there is a PA rate for essentials, will have to check again. ( just did, proice is 899 until 3/31).

I will have to run the #s, but think coming from the pacific nw that vegas option still cheaper due to much lower housing costs. AAPA in san antonio is the week after essentials. I was planning on doing that too so might just take off 2 weeks and do both back to back, well see.

• 1 month later...

Are there any workshops that allow one to achieve certification at the end to do certain procedures?

Having the education is always good, but whether or not you can do a procedure in a hospital is a function of your credentialing process, whether or not the MDs want to let you do them, and I can imagine that in some states the PA regs also get to play a part. 

For example, they are beginning to credential the PAs at my shop to do transabdominal US in pregnancy. There's a specific process we have to go through, including procedure logging, didactics, 1:1 training, etc. A class at a conference would have been helpful so I could learn more, but it would not have allowed me to avoid any of the training requirements. 

Archived