Navy Reserves

Hello Everyone!

I served 5 years in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman.  I am currently out, finishing my bachelors, and planning on applying to PA school in 2017.  I want to join the Navy reserves after completing PA school.  From what I have seen on here it is difficult to go active Navy as a PA right now.  Is this the same for the reserves?  Is it possible to go into the reserves right out of PA school?  And would be easier on me to get into the Navy reserves right after finishing PA school if I were to go back into the Navy (reserves) right now as a Corpsman so that I would already be in the reserves when I finish PA school? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to get everything figured out.  Thank you!!!

Not sure about the reserves, but active duty isn't that bad.  Especially if you get into their scholarship program. If reserves is how you want to go, HSCP requires an 8 year commitment. Three of those years have to be on active duty and rest can be done in the reserves. This could be a door into the reserves in addition to a guaranteed job out of PA school  and three years of great experience to put on your resume for a civilian job once you finish your time on active duty. Being a prior Corpsman will give you an upper hand

Not sure about the reserves, but active duty isn't that bad.  Especially if you get into their scholarship program. If reserves is how you want to go, HSCP requires an 8 year commitment. Three of those years have to be on active duty and rest can be done in the reserves. This could be a door into the reserves in addition to a guaranteed job out of PA school  and three years of great experience to put on your resume for a civilian job once you finish your time on active duty. Being a prior Corpsman will give you an upper hand

Another good thing about HSCP is that it adds to your active duty time. So your PA school time will actually count towards retirement (so 2 years in PA school + 3 year commitment + 5 years time served = 10 years in service in this particular case).

HSCP is always the best way to go for prior enlisted folks.

Hey if there is any reserve questions I can ask around and let you know. I did 9 years as an HM on active duty (FMF and blue side) and then got out and joined the reserve where I have been in a little over two years. I have access to a lot of the reserve career counselors and can see what I can find out during my next drill. I'm have also applied to PA schools and am standing by for interviews. Hope I can help, or at least know that you're not alone! Just know that the MSC can be hard to get into on the reserve side because of billets, plus I heard that promotion can suck reserve side (info from a current MSC reserve PA)

Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program

This student loan repayment program is only for fully qualified health professionalsthat are also on active duty.

If you qualify, you’ll be eligible to receive $40,000 per year toward your student loan debt for up to three years if you are in the dental, medical, allied health, nursing, or veterinary corps while serving active duty.

You can be eligible for up to $50,000 in total loan forgiveness over three years if you are in the dental, medical, allied health, nurse, or veterinary corps serving in the reserves.

Qualifying loans include:

Stafford Loans
Grad PLUS loans
Consolidation loans
Perkins loans
Health professions student loans (HPSLs)
Private student loans

** I would try to avoid private loans at all cost... Your school will give you enough money to live on for two years... You won't be living like a king, but you wont have 20%+ interest loans either.. If you have tons of debt and five kids then thats another story I guess. The loan repayment program is just like any other.. You have to apply for it and get it. It's not automatic and it is not always funded. I don't think this kind of thing is offered to reservist PAs***

It would be a hassle..I wouldn't join the reserves if you wanted to do  HSCP... Then you would have to have a condition letter of release and all this other mess.. Just way more paperwork and the reserves does nothing for you in applying. You were already a Corpsman so that's good enough. Keep the grades up and apply early!

Archived