Choosing Nova Orlando over other Nova programs

I'm sure I'm not alone in having been accepted to multiple Nova campuses and now having to truly reflect on each one to pick the best fit. Can any current students at Nova Orlando (or current applicants who are definitely going to nova Orlando) maybe post as to what it was about the Orlando campus that made you pick there over other schools? I have narrowed my choices down to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale and can see the pros and cons of each campus but was hoping for some other insight. I really like the anatomage program at Orlando as opposed to the cadavers at Ft. Lauderdale and it seems much cheaper to live in Orlando than in Ft. Lauderdale. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming in Orlando---more so than at any other Nova campus. And the program seemed centered on the students. The building was way quieter and less busy than at Ft. Lauderdale too, since so many other medical programs are located there. Originally, I worried about the probation status, but now that I understand that's not really an issue, I am leaning towards Orlando. My husband just feels like Orlando will be too busy, with too much traffic. Do current students find that traffic is really bad in Orlando? Around the school, it didn't seem so bad.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having been accepted to multiple Nova campuses and now having to truly reflect on each one to pick the best fit. Can any current students at Nova Orlando (or current applicants who are definitely going to nova Orlando) maybe post as to what it was about the Orlando campus that made you pick there over other schools? I have narrowed my choices down to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale and can see the pros and cons of each campus but was hoping for some other insight. I really like the anatomage program at Orlando as opposed to the cadavers at Ft. Lauderdale and it seems much cheaper to live in Orlando than in Ft. Lauderdale. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming in Orlando---more so than at any other Nova campus. And the program seemed centered on the students. The building was way quieter and less busy than at Ft. Lauderdale too, since so many other medical programs are located there. Originally, I worried about the probation status, but now that I understand that's not really an issue, I am leaning towards Orlando. My husband just feels like Orlando will be too busy, with too much traffic. Do current students find that traffic is really bad in Orlando? Around the school, it didn't seem so bad.

I've lived in Orlando my whole life and can give a little insight into the area. It's a nice city with a lot to do with some great suburbs outside of the city. Traffic is terrible and only getting worse as they are doing a six-year renovation of the road that runs through Orlando (I-4). That said, it was a great place to grow up, you're close enough to each coast that day trips are very doable and I highly recommend getting to the beaches as much as possible. Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but I personally could never live there, it just isn't for me. I strongly dislike Miami and the surrounding areas, very superficial and a highly saturated market for PA's. I know a few Nova Orlando grads and they enjoyed the program. You can get around the traffic in Orlando as long as you avoid rush hour times to the best of your ability. There are plenty of alternate routes around that are good at avoiding traffic. Good luck with your decision!

The above user provided sound advice. I too live in Orlando and can attest to the horrendous traffic issue. However, it is something that you eventually get used to as time goes on and just simply learn to deal with. I was offered interviews at all four Nova campuses as well and interviewed at Ft. Myers as well as Orlando (accepted to both). Coming into the applications process, Nova Orlando was undeniably my first choice due to the location (living at home and saving on student loans), amazing PANCE rates as a result of quality staff and rigorous didactic curriculum (100% passing rate for last 3 years), quality of clinical rotations, and the overall good vibes I felt throughout the interview/tour. I believe Orlando is a better place to practice as PA as opposed to south Florida which has quickly become saturated in recent years resulting in some of the lowest salary offers in the country. I might be a bit biased because I have lived here the past 10 years, and while there are certain things I can't stand about Orlando I can't envision myself ever leaving. There is just so much to do and so much opportunity within this city that I simply could not live anywhere else. I don't believe you will regret choosing our location and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/2/2015 at 12:18 PM, LtdPAS said:

where did you end up? 

On 11/2/2015 at 12:18 PM, LtdPAS said:

where did you end up? 

Archived