2011-2012 Application

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone so I had my interview today. I felt like I did well. The questions that were asked were pretty much the basic questions why pa why not md, questions of that nature. We were informed that they were going to interview 160 people. So, approximately 1 in 3 people that interview are going to be accepted. It seems that the competition is quite fierce for getting in. Does anyone know when we will know if we were accepted or not?

Hey everyone so I had my interview today. I felt like I did well. The questions that were asked were pretty much the basic questions why pa why not md, questions of that nature. We were informed that they were going to interview 160 people. So, approximately 1 in 3 people that interview are going to be accepted. It seems that the competition is quite fierce for getting in. Does anyone know when we will know if we were accepted or not?

There were 793 applicants for 50 spots this year. However, people from South Texas had a major advantage. The first interview on January 28, 2012, of 80 applicants, contained applicants primarily from South Texas (a.k.a. Rio Grande Valley, or "the Valley"); there were some people from Houston there. The second and last interview, of 80 applicants, will contain applicants from outside of South Texas, from the whole world.

There were 793 applicants for 50 spots this year. However, people from South Texas had a major advantage. The first interview on January 28, 2012, of 80 applicants, contained applicants primarily from South Texas (a.k.a. Rio Grande Valley, or "the Valley"); there were some people from Houston there. The second and last interview, of 80 applicants, will contain applicants from outside of South Texas, from the whole world.

Suspirar, I hadn't even noticed that lol But I wouldn't say that the ppl from South Texas had a major advantage. First of all, they were interviewed first, so those who have an interview for Feb 11 have the advantage of practicing their interpersonal and interviewing skills and can research the program more. Also, UTPA doesn't work on rolling admissions, so it's still fair game.

Suspirar, I hadn't even noticed that lol But I wouldn't say that the ppl from South Texas had a major advantage. First of all, they were interviewed first, so those who have an interview for Feb 11 have the advantage of practicing their interpersonal and interviewing skills and can research the program more. Also, UTPA doesn't work on rolling admissions, so it's still fair game.

I interviewed at UTMB and San Antonio as well, and the Texas public schools do seem to have regional preferences, even for regions within Texas. For example, Fort Worth and Dallas programs prefer people from North Texas. San Antonio prefers people from central and south-central Texas.

There was something at the interview that indicated that UTPA prefers people from South Texas, but I am not going to type it. I've heard that UTPA wants people from South Texas. A lot of Americans don't like living in South Texas, and the government wants UTPA to produce PAs who will work in South Texas.

It seemed that applicants from South Texas had a higher chance of getting invited for an interview at UTPA than out-of-state applicants.

I interviewed at UTMB and San Antonio as well, and the Texas public schools do seem to have regional preferences, even for regions within Texas. For example, Fort Worth and Dallas programs prefer people from North Texas. San Antonio prefers people from central and south-central Texas.

There was something at the interview that indicated that UTPA prefers people from South Texas, but I am not going to type it. I've heard that UTPA wants people from South Texas. A lot of Americans don't like living in South Texas, and the government wants UTPA to produce PAs who will work in South Texas.

It seemed that applicants from South Texas had a higher chance of getting invited for an interview at UTPA than out-of-state applicants.

Maybe because I'm from here I didn't pay attention to the bias, but you are right about that last part. South Texas is in dyer need of healthcare professionals, and considering that there is no medical school down here, the community relies on physician assistants to help the few doctors that do practice here. However, I was rejected last year, and I'm from here. I would just express an openmindedness to work for South Texas to the interview committee if you are not from the valley. Just like that. Say that, and let your good grades, healthcare experience, and awesome interpersonal skills do the rest :)

Maybe because I'm from here I didn't pay attention to the bias, but you are right about that last part. South Texas is in dyer need of healthcare professionals, and considering that there is no medical school down here, the community relies on physician assistants to help the few doctors that do practice here. However, I was rejected last year, and I'm from here. I would just express an openmindedness to work for South Texas to the interview committee if you are not from the valley. Just like that. Say that, and let your good grades, healthcare experience, and awesome interpersonal skills do the rest :)

Archived