PA-MD/DO bridge

just another thought that might apply to more PA's

What about independent practice for IM with

1. NCCPA cert

2. 6+ years experience in IM

3. score over 80th (or some other percentile) on the PANRE

4. Masters level degree (no real clinical purpose to this, but adds legitimacy to it - makes the same level as NP's who can do the same thing.

(could even require a "collaboration agreement" with a physician but still do all you own billing under you PA UPIN and never under a MD/DO UPIN

Then you can own your own company, set up your own shop, have no supervision requirements......

the Super PA

Could even say initially that the only place we could practice in critically underserved areas to "get a foot in the door"

Honestly I don't really care about the degree - I just want the autonomy and to get out from under the control of others.....

would require a national level law mandating PA's be recognized at primary care providers and all services provided by PA's must be billed under their UPIN

I love this idea; anything like this ever been seriously discussed the "PA-powers that be" ? Of course some physicians would fight, but as noted on this forum over and over, it's time for this profession to put on our big boy underwear and not worry about rocking the boat?

just another thought that might apply to more PA's

What about independent practice for IM with

1. NCCPA cert

2. 6+ years experience in IM

3. score over 80th (or some other percentile) on the PANRE

4. Masters level degree (no real clinical purpose to this, but adds legitimacy to it - makes the same level as NP's who can do the same thing.

(could even require a "collaboration agreement" with a physician but still do all you own billing under you PA UPIN and never under a MD/DO UPIN

Then you can own your own company, set up your own shop, have no supervision requirements......

the Super PA

Could even say initially that the only place we could practice in critically underserved areas to "get a foot in the door"

Honestly I don't really care about the degree - I just want the autonomy and to get out from under the control of others.....

would require a national level law mandating PA's be recognized at primary care providers and all services provided by PA's must be billed under their UPIN

I love this idea; anything like this ever been seriously discussed the "PA-powers that be" ? Of course some physicians would fight, but as noted on this forum over and over, it's time for this profession to put on our big boy underwear and not worry about rocking the boat?

this will never happen in the current context of our relations with the BOMs and AMA political environment. The AAPA would never support it.

It's only seriously discussed in places like this forum or amongst other working PAs.

this will never happen in the current context of our relations with the BOMs and AMA political environment. The AAPA would never support it.

It's only seriously discussed in places like this forum or amongst other working PAs.

OK, my turn to chime in.

Just finished week one. First embryo/histo quiz on Monday. A bit overwhelmed and loving it. Semester 1 is 40 credits--I am not joking. There is that much to learn. Keep in mind a great deal of first year is stuff most PAs haven't had before or haven't had in-depth. I think 2nd year will be a whole lot more comfortable because that looks a lot more like first year didactic in PA school. 3rd year (rotations) should be a breeze.

First day of class I was pulled out to talk to the media. Oh geez, there goes my anonymity. Apparently there's a writeup about it somewhere although I don't think the video made it anywhere. Good thing too because I was having a bad hair day and I lost my eyebrow pencil down the grate that morning. :)

Had our first meeting of APAP students on Friday. There are 6 of us in Erie and 1 in Seton Hill. There were 12 slots for PAs but we didn't fill them all the first year--but next year is shaping up to be much more competitive as more PAs know about the program and apply for slots. Incidentally, I am the only woman in the APAP group. Not terribly surprising as our class is VERY skewed with 2 males to every female. Strange actually as the ratio has been much more 50-50 for quite some time.

Facilities are great. Professionalism is a way of life here (yes, down to a dress code--even in Anatomy lab--not kidding!--and no coffee/food/water anywhere in the building except for the cafeteria). I have been tremendously impressed with the quality of instruction at LECOM so far--haven't had a poor lecturer yet, and the core science Ph.D.'s are outstanding teachers. Our advisor, Dr Kauffman (DO, PA) is approachable and knowledgeable and highly committed to our success. We were gently reminded on Friday that the entire medical education community is watching us--we are the pioneers and the guinea pigs--and that a lot was riding on our shoulders. Yes, we knew that, but it was sobering.

And for those of you who want to see the MCAT go away, I can't make any promises, but the powers that be are working on that too. Stay tuned.

One final reminder: medical school is mandated to be 132 weeks to be accredited in the US. There is no way to get around that. Do the math--can't do it in 2 years--but could it be shortened a little? Perhaps, but I don't foresee that happening for at least a few generations of PA-to-DOs. Research will be conducted, samples analyzed, regressions calculated, and results published, and we may just change the scheme of medical education in the US...but it will take time.

Must study...carry on :)

Lisa

OK, my turn to chime in.

Just finished week one. First embryo/histo quiz on Monday. A bit overwhelmed and loving it. Semester 1 is 40 credits--I am not joking. There is that much to learn. Keep in mind a great deal of first year is stuff most PAs haven't had before or haven't had in-depth. I think 2nd year will be a whole lot more comfortable because that looks a lot more like first year didactic in PA school. 3rd year (rotations) should be a breeze.

First day of class I was pulled out to talk to the media. Oh geez, there goes my anonymity. Apparently there's a writeup about it somewhere although I don't think the video made it anywhere. Good thing too because I was having a bad hair day and I lost my eyebrow pencil down the grate that morning. :)

Had our first meeting of APAP students on Friday. There are 6 of us in Erie and 1 in Seton Hill. There were 12 slots for PAs but we didn't fill them all the first year--but next year is shaping up to be much more competitive as more PAs know about the program and apply for slots. Incidentally, I am the only woman in the APAP group. Not terribly surprising as our class is VERY skewed with 2 males to every female. Strange actually as the ratio has been much more 50-50 for quite some time.

Facilities are great. Professionalism is a way of life here (yes, down to a dress code--even in Anatomy lab--not kidding!--and no coffee/food/water anywhere in the building except for the cafeteria). I have been tremendously impressed with the quality of instruction at LECOM so far--haven't had a poor lecturer yet, and the core science Ph.D.'s are outstanding teachers. Our advisor, Dr Kauffman (DO, PA) is approachable and knowledgeable and highly committed to our success. We were gently reminded on Friday that the entire medical education community is watching us--we are the pioneers and the guinea pigs--and that a lot was riding on our shoulders. Yes, we knew that, but it was sobering.

And for those of you who want to see the MCAT go away, I can't make any promises, but the powers that be are working on that too. Stay tuned.

One final reminder: medical school is mandated to be 132 weeks to be accredited in the US. There is no way to get around that. Do the math--can't do it in 2 years--but could it be shortened a little? Perhaps, but I don't foresee that happening for at least a few generations of PA-to-DOs. Research will be conducted, samples analyzed, regressions calculated, and results published, and we may just change the scheme of medical education in the US...but it will take time.

Must study...carry on :)

Lisa

Had our first meeting of APAP students on Friday. There are 6 of us in Erie and 1 in Seton Hill. There were 12 slots for PAs but we didn't fill them all the first year--but next year is shaping up to be much more competitive as more PAs know about the program and apply for slots.

I'm glad things are off to a good start for you! Given the constant threads we had here over the last 5+ years asking about the possibility of a PA to MD/DO bridge, it is surprising to me that they did not fill all 12 slots (though I do understand that the MCAT may be a big reason why some people have not applied). Has the school released any information on how many PA applicants they had this year? (I presume more than seven but they carefully selected so it will be a successful first group.)

Had our first meeting of APAP students on Friday. There are 6 of us in Erie and 1 in Seton Hill. There were 12 slots for PAs but we didn't fill them all the first year--but next year is shaping up to be much more competitive as more PAs know about the program and apply for slots.

I'm glad things are off to a good start for you! Given the constant threads we had here over the last 5+ years asking about the possibility of a PA to MD/DO bridge, it is surprising to me that they did not fill all 12 slots (though I do understand that the MCAT may be a big reason why some people have not applied). Has the school released any information on how many PA applicants they had this year? (I presume more than seven but they carefully selected so it will be a successful first group.)

Would anybody consider a bridge program that was considerably LONGER so that way PAs could do shift work while attending school? This would help with the lost revenue problem, and get around the 132 week minimum requirement. just an idea

there are already medschool programs with part time options(like stanford) but they are not specifically for pa's.

Would anybody consider a bridge program that was considerably LONGER so that way PAs could do shift work while attending school? This would help with the lost revenue problem, and get around the 132 week minimum requirement. just an idea

there are already medschool programs with part time options(like stanford) but they are not specifically for pa's.

Lisa

hmmm....that might just tip the scales for me. would still want to finish the dhsc first though. maybe I will just go on collecting degrees my whole life then I could have a business card like a nursing supervisor:

Emedpa, DO, DHSc, PA-c, EMT-P

Lisa

hmmm....that might just tip the scales for me. would still want to finish the dhsc first though. maybe I will just go on collecting degrees my whole life then I could have a business card like a nursing supervisor:

Emedpa, DO, DHSc, PA-c, EMT-P

Archived