Lecturing 1st year medical students

All -

Is there any difference lecturing a first year medical student than 1st year PA students?  I'm slated to give a lecture on wound care as I have a little expertise in the area and I'm not sure if I should prepare differently than I would for PA students.  I have been a guest lecturer at the local PA program a couple of times. 

I got this gig as the doc who is renowned in our area for her wound care excellence backed out at the last minute. 

I have a little anxiety about this one. 

Both are schooled in medicine, no difference. be proud that you are teaching med students and that your teaching will provide knowledge for healing. good luck.

PS. betablockers work great for anxiety control

Both are schooled in medicine, no difference. be proud that you are teaching med students and that your teaching will provide knowledge for healing. good luck.

PS. betablockers work great for anxiety control

there is that whole first dose syncope thing though, which could be embarrassing...

Overall it went well.  Next time I will not use a lecture prepared by someone else, though. 

There's always that one student who tries to be smarter than the teacher...  Just one person who asks the questions they already know the answer to, and I had one in my classroom.  Asked esoteric questions about disease states that I don't/have not treated just to see if I knew the answers (and of course I didn't). 

It was fun anyway. 

Congrats!! Keep teaching!

I had the PA student who argued about the degree range for mild and moderate hypothermia - my lecture notes were off from their text by 1 degree. 

Hands kept shooting up to ask if "that on the test" - instead of listening to clinical experience - they were sooooo uptight.

The sphincter tone of that class was unbelievable................................

Overall it went well.  Next time I will not use a lecture prepared by someone else, though. 

There's always that one student who tries to be smarter than the teacher...  Just one person who asks the questions they already know the answer to, and I had one in my classroom.  Asked esoteric questions about disease states that I don't/have not treated just to see if I knew the answers (and of course I didn't). 

It was fun anyway. 

Next time this happens say this:  That's a great esoteric question about x disease state and I don't treat or have not treated it.  Therefore, I am giving you an assignment  and you will research the disease, and answer your own question.  You will be  first next week at the lecture and I will give you 10 minutes to educate the rest of us.  Great question, Student!  I'm so glad you are interested in participating in my class.  See you next week. BTW, if you skip class you will lose x number of points and it will affect your grade. 

^^^ awesome idea. Wish lecturers would have done that from day one with some students in my class. Might have saved the rest of us from the misery and BS questions that some students ask to "pimp" the lecturer. Then again, that same student would probably love to get up there and lecture the class with word vomit as if they've been practicing for years. Might I add that they are probably the same folk that argue to death about a test question they got wrong, citing references from sources that aren't used for test purposes to justify. For those of you that do this and are offended... Sorry I'm not sorry. So glad I'm done with PA school.

Archived