Patients Say the Funniest Things

^^^^^^ you're kidding.  You mean it's pronounced electrolytes????  Wow, I need to clean up my vocabulary!

My Mom keeps  telling me about her Choresterol. 

Patient with chronic knee pain with Medicare insurance, but paid out of pocket FOR SOME WIERD REASON says, "And make sure it's the Percocet without the crap in it, I got Hep C!" (gave her naprosyn)

Person with a painful rash said to me: "I looked it up on the Internet, and it's gotta be either fibromyalgia, or cellulitis, one of the two."

"Wigworm" is our population's colloquialism for ringworm. Try as you might, most do not accept ringworm as a correction. I have heard "metropolitan" used in several instances to refer to Metoprolol. "Vomicking" is often used in place of vomiting, and many times it just refers to coughing up sputum, not emesis, and so always requires a follow up question. I have not personally heard this, but I did have an attending tell me a patient reported a hx of "gas-stational diabetes".  If at any time a patient tells me that their pain is "excrutiating", my next question is med allergies... Oh, and all of my previous pregnancies had negative urine tests until I had the blood test, so can I get that now? And now that you ask, yes, I am dizzy, nauseated and I think I did pass out just a little bit. :D

I had a patient tell me he died and performed CPR on himself until he revived.  When he realized he was dead,  he took his right fist and thumped his chest and then did compressions until he came to. 

I was so relieved he did not wake up dead. 

There was no point in arguing with a hero. 

I had a female pt once who refused transport because the ED had "nicked her prostate" last time they disimpacted her. My partner and I just stared at our boots for a few minutes trying not to laugh. I guess that anatomy fail is a little more common than I would have figured.

Also had a hernia guy similar to Paula's story...met me at the front door, naked from the waist down, holding onto his crotch saying "it popped out and I can't get it back in". It was after midnight and I was half asleep...took a minute to realize it wasn't a really weird dream.

yesterday was one of those special days.

I had several patients who are complaining of severe sinus infections for a total of three days.

They had had nasal congestion, felt feverish and had a headache.

I asked what they had taken over-the-counter for their symptoms.

Their answer – nothing

Here's your sign

It doesn't even make me pause anymore when I hear someone hasn't tried anything for their sx's.  On the other hand, I actually like it because I have tons of useful ideas for them and am more than happy to send them home with a bevy of rx's to relieve their sx's.  And I get a big thank you each time- but not before I counsel them on actually trying to help themselves

To add to TA's post, I take pleasure in asking folks "Do you remember what I suggested for this same problem last month?".  If a peds with a cough, and I've already suggested the honey trick (using it on myself at present and it works fine), Prelone for a couple days is my next trick.

SINGLE DOSE PO DECADRON 0.6 MG/KG PO iv SOLUTION AS po IS TOLERATED BETTER BY MOST KIDS. (woops sorry about caps...)

I like "sticky note" Rx's for OTC stuff - they get a piece of paper with things that will at least make them feel better.  I used to get them made by Vistaprint with my name and credentials on them. 

Reminds me, need to order a pile of nasal rinse samples again - the ER is out. 

I used to have this sweet but daffy older lady who came in with her pocketbook - an overstuffed grandma wallet bursting with little pieces of paper.

She would always refer to them while I took her history and tried to figure out why she was there.

Most visits could have been settled with tea and cookies........ she was very sweet and I would have talked to her all day.

I could tell from most of her articles and clippings that they came from the Enquirer or some other stellar publication of medical knowledge.

She pulled a clipping out one day and says "Can you prescribe this for me? I would like to use it when I feel my heart skip instead of having to take a pill."

It was a home defibrillator.

As I stifled laughter into a cough, I told her that the defibrillator could only be used by someone else and that one would usually be dead and couldn't use it on yourself. You could talk very plainly to her and she appreciated that.

She balled the paper up and chucked it across my exam room and laughed like no tomorrow. "Guess I won't get one of those..........."

Made my day!

Archived