Being paid hourly with no time and a half?

So new grad with first job here. Surgical first assist with helping in surgical clinic 2-3 times a week. 

The HR director even said that you are "kind of exempt" and that your case is different...when she had me sign the paper. 

Typically get about 95-110 hours every pay period which is 2 weeks. I was told a salary of 96,000 and they had me sign an "exempt" from. Except they have me clock in and out every day and I am being paid hourly. I have an hourly rate of 46 an hour. I don't understand this!! I think the reason they had me sign an exempt form is so they don't have to pay me time and a half but they are still able to pay me hourly. 

What are your thoughts on this and how to approach this since I am a new grad in a small critical access hospital where its all about the bottom dollar. 

I had a job like that. I was salaried exempt and any OT was paid at a flat hourly rate. There are 2 ways of looking at it... if you are salaried exempt they could make you work over without any extra pay. That is what salaried employees do. When your contract is up everything is negotiable

My contract is for 3 years. Talking with one of my colleagues who has been here a year said that the 96,000 a year really turns into around 120,000 a year with all the hours we work along with on call pay. He was offered the same contract I was and with her first year in the books she had around 120,000. That's why I am confused, cause in my contract it states 96,000 but to be paid with an hourly rate of 46 an hour. So all my hours over 80 is still paid 46.

I am not making 36 an hour, I am making 46 an hour, even though my contract says 96,000. Is 46 an hour low for surgery PA right out of school?

My contract is for 3 years. Talking with one of my colleagues who has been here a year said that the 96,000 a year really turns into around 120,000 a year with all the hours we work along with on call pay. He was offered the same contract I was and with her first year in the books she had around 120,000. That's why I am confused, cause in my contract it states 96,000 but to be paid with an hourly rate of 46 an hour. So all my hours over 80 is still paid 46.

I am not making 36 an hour, I am making 46 an hour, even though my contract says 96,000. Is 46 an hour low for surgery PA right out of school?

It sounds like you are 'salaried' at 96k - which is 40hrs/week.  Then as OT are paid 46/hr anything over 40 hrs/week.  Basically you're in limbo.  If you were just salary you'd only make the 96k and if you were only hourly you'd be making time and half for your overtime.  You're stuck in between.  Bummer on not getting the time and a half, but at least you are paid for all the hours you work vs just flat yearly salary.

Not sure how that works legally.  120k sounds great and 50-55 hrs/week doesn't sound awful if you're at least being paid for all those hours instead of just 40.  I have no help/suggestion, just trying to help figure out your arrangement.

Exempt is designed for "professional" positions that are based on 40 hour weeks, but they will pay you for anything extra at your base hourly pay. On the other hand, if you ever work short (leaving after a 6 hour day to go to an appt etc), they should not pay you less than your full 8 hours for the day. In your situation, this prob won't come up since you are working a massive amount of hours. I am also in an "exempt" position, but, thankfully, I am encouraged to stick to a 40 hour week.

3 year contract?!!? Why? I am really trying to understand why anyone agrees to this... life happens. Things change. Your job should be not be the factor that prevents you from making life changes and if you are unhappy, you should never feel indebted to the position.

Archived