Retirement....

Those of you with stocks.....

Might want to get some S&P 500 puts soon.....protect yourselves....

Or you could buy some August Call options on AAPL......

Just something to think about....

that is all...now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Those of you with stocks.....

Might want to get some S&P 500 puts soon.....protect yourselves....

Or you could buy some August Call options on AAPL......

Just something to think about....

that is all...now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

is this spam or are you real?

Not the total collapse, but they are already predicting a bond rate increase of 55 basis points. The bond traders are already starting to freak out, and my buddy at Merrill passed that advice above along.

I wouldn't move all my assets in that direction. Most people can't anyway...most only have a 401 or 403, Roth, or moneymarket, and there aren't usually any options trading features on those accounts. But if you also have some decent money in individual stocks....a put helps cover your downside risk. Plus you can make some serious money, if you get the right strike price. As an example, a friend of mine in 2008, bought 1000 shares at 2.60 on a put with a strike price at 2.00......when the market collapsed, the stock fell to .90, he bought 1,000 shares at .90 cents, exercized his put, and sold for 2.00.....made over a thousand profit....for five minutes work.

I was just trying to pass along some helpful advice to practicing professional PA's who may have a portfolio....if this is all a foreign language to you, then never mind and carry on...

BTW, PAMAC.....I'm also hedging, and just bought some shares of a Euro ultrashort. Greece is going down, and I think the Euro is in for a wild ride....time to ride the short sellers bus for a little while....

Course, I could lose too. That's the beauty of it.

dont forget portugal. they are in rough shape as well.

Yeah, all of the PIIGS countries. Germany is really, really regretting being talked into the Euro right now.

The worst case scenario is starting here soon. The short sellers are buying up huge shares of the Proshares Treasury Ultrashort. Basically shorting the US dollar. This is one of the reasons the bond traders are getting pretty nervous.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow.....wild ride....US debt downgraded only a day after the Dow falls off a cliff. It rallied temporarily today, but I think I might buy a couple hundred shares of the Dow short on Monday...it's going to be bad.

FWIW, I made some on the Euro short....

I also think Silver is in for a continued slide. Might short Oil too.

Keep in mind that I am not a professional trader. I simply put 1,000 into an ETrades account a couple of years ago, and made some decent money on it. It's more of a fun account to go along with my 403, Roth, kids college fund, and hedge fund account. I love playing with it. I've never put any more in than the initial 1,000. That's it. If I lose it, I lose it.

It's fun to play with, and I've made enough over the past couple of years to pay for a vacation. Of course, I also lost enough on one investment that I literally laid awake in bed and cried. It goes both ways. I could have bought a nice house on waterfront property for what I lose in 2008 combined. Ugh.....gotta love the market. It helps being a former econ major, as many of my old classmates from the 80's in college have moved into impressive positions in finance and econ. I get tips from them all the time, some good, some bad. The docs laugh at me, cause I have real time Dow and S&P charts going at work every day. It's a hobby, nothing more.

FWIW, the markets rallied a little bit today on news from Berlusconi in Italy, but the S&P DELIBERATELY didn't release their downgrade until after close.

This is going to suck....for all of us. Student loan rates, credit card rates, inflation...here it comes....NICE going Congress...Thanks a lot. Even Peter Morici, a conservative/GOP economist was saying that cuts in spending now, could not occur at a "worst time".

I could explain more economically, if anyone is interested. Then again, ignorance might not be a bad thing right now.

Actually, Keynesian mechanics arose out of the Great Depression and are really suited for dealing with times of economic stress. A Keynesian does not simply believe in deficit spending, but rather, believes in higher taxes and interest rates in good times with the idea of running a surplus when possible. This gives you tools to work with and money to use in times of crisis. Unfortunately, we have not done that. We are Japan circa 1993 with a liquidity trap staring us in the face.

The S&P Release was quite telling. It specifically singled out and named the GOP....I've never seen that from a ratings agency before.

Compared with previous projections, our revised base case scenario now assumes that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, due to expire by the end of 2012, remain in place.
We have changed our assumption on this because the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act.
Key macroeconomic assumptions in the base case scenario include trend real GDP growth of 3% and consumer price inflation near 2% annually over the decade.
The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective, and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in the debate over fiscal policy.

It has long been obvious to all observers — to economists, to politicians, to anti-deficit groups, to the ratings agencies — that closing fiscal gaps will require tax increases, or the closure of big tax loopholes, or significant tax reform that will raise significantly larger sums of tax revenue than the system does now. Today, taxes as a percentage of GDP are at historic lows. Marginal rates on income and investments are at historic lows. Corporate tax receipts as a percentage of GDP are at historic lows. Perhaps taxes don't need to rise this year or next, but they do need to go up in the future.

S&P thinks Republican fiscal policy is counter to economic reality. IOW, insane.

This calamity was entirely man-made — even intentional. The contemporary Republican Party is fixated on taxes.
It possesses an iron-clad belief that the existing tax rates should never go up, that loopholes shouldn't be closed unless they're offset by other tax reductions, that the fact that hedge fund managers pay lower tax rates than school teachers makes complete sense, that a reversion to the tax rates of the prosperous 1990's or 1980's would be unacceptable.

This is incredibly strong language for a ratings agency to use.

FWIW, I support higher taxes....much higher. But I think that EITHER tax hikes or cuts in spending right now would be very detrimental to a weak economy. Contractionary policy, whether monetary or fiscal is a very, very bad idea right now.

I could explain more economically, if anyone is interested. Then again, ignorance might not be a bad thing right now.

Well......

Since we stopped the political forum a while ago......

And this post really has nothing to do with professional PA discussion.....

Maybe there's no need to continue.

It seems you fancy yourself a professor and love to post endlessly about your connections and economics background ......

But I get the sense that no one is impressed. Or interested.

There are political and econ forums for stuff like this. I'm. SURE you are a member of some of them. They may feed on this more than a PA FORUM........

My office manager said something tonight that made me smile. Doesn't it feel good to be poor at times like this. I've spent everything but my shirt on opening a new practice, she has never owned stock.

That's good. I hope the new practice is going great Mike. Managed to minimize my losses today. I was predicting the DJIA to go down 800, but it only went down 634.

Couldn't do anything with my other accounts, but went short on Oil and the Dow on my day account this morning and made some good money on those two.....of course, I lost big on the more formal funds.

Oh well, that's the market....

You coming back this way anytime soon? Be great to see you again.

Mike

That's good. I hope the new practice is going great Mike. Managed to minimize my losses today. I was predicting the DJIA to go down 800, but it only went down 634.

Couldn't do anything with my other accounts, but went short on Oil and the Dow on my day account this morning and made some good money on those two.....of course, I lost big on the more formal funds.

Oh well, that's the market....

You coming back this way anytime soon? Be great to see you again.

Mike

Hey, I'm still waiting to hear back from you and what your friends at the AAPA said about my case and situation with Group Health's boycott of my practice because it is PA owned. Do they have any interest in it? Okay, this thread is about retirement so let me add, if Group Health ever accepts my practice it will help my retirement . . . how's that?

one month ago I mentioned gold , silver and lead (ammo) as a "buy" glad i did, hope you did as well/

I bought gold.....not silver. Too many other uses, and not truly a currency, more of a commodity.

I'm about to sell Gold though. The hedge fund managers are starting to dump it, and I'm thinking it might have peaked....I'm going to wait another day though. BTW, I bought last fall.....yes....it's going to pay for a nice trip to the bahamas this fall for my family.

Check out EPD, I'm long on them with a 6% yield.

I'll tell you, the older I get, the more I care about business, politics, and money. If I could leverage my account and make the switch to being a day trader full time, I would. But I refuse to trade on the margin. Too risky playing with other peoples money.

JMJ11 asked, in a few posts back, what the AAPA and your more powerful legislative friends were fixing to do about his situation..

so, physassist, what is the answer? is there any help on the horizon for this PA (mike) who has done more in one state to butress the prestige of the profession than any of the occassional (in PA journals only) posters the AAPA has done in the last 30 years.

he needs help. is there anything the AAPA can do to assist him with his insurance company problems.. or is he to continue being a voice in the wilderness.. howling at the inequities a misinformed public has.. to the point that he has to hire NPs over fellow PAs..

there has been a lot of talk on this forum from you about how the AAPA is working behind the scenes with all sorts of committes and subcommitties and state legislatures. I aint seen much good coming down the road from them ..

and here is a case where they really could help a PA and the profession..

do you have any input for mike?

(Maybe you have been primate messaging him.. but I have been following his blog, and haven't heard any comments about the AAPA even asking about how they could help...)

i know I am sidetracking the thread.. if needed, start another on on how the AAPA is helping us.. and exactly what our membership fees are accom plishing.. exactly

v/r

davis

(Maybe you have been primate messaging him.. v/r

davis

PRIMATE messaging? is that banging on your chest like a gorilla and hoping the aapa will notice?

all kidding aside I would like to see the aapa back mike to the hilt on this including supporting him in court if it came to that....

Archived