Applying for Jobs

I actually started 8-9 months before graduation and interviewed 2-3 times prior to graduation.

I also completed all of the state licensing paperwork and sent it in to the agencies in the states that I was considering living in.

So by graduation day, the states only needed 2 pieces of paper

1.) The PA Program Graduation Verification Form- This was sent by the program, the first business day immeadiatly following our Grad date.

2.) PANCE results-sent 37 days after I graduated because I took the PANCE exactly 30days post-graduation.

Our graduation was Jan 10th...

I was fully State licensed in two states (sans DEA) by Mar. 2.

YMMV

Contrarian

I just graduated and I started looking 3 months prior to graduation. For me personally i found that employers were less likely to offer an interview if I was farther away from graduation. I had a lot of jobs that were even hesitant 3 months from graduation. I would make sure I had all of my paperwork in order like stated above. I think the amount of time is person dependent on a couple of variables... How tied in are you to a specific geographic location, specialty as some are harder to find then others, population size (more rural= less jobs in general), and urgency of job post graduation.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I have not seen much mention of is starting your career thru either Public Health Service or the Health Corp. PHS can be applied to the year before your graduation. Then if you go to approved sites for your last year, you will actually be paid as a military officer. You can also secure a job before you graduate. The Health corp places people in underserved areas. Do not be scared by this as you may find somewhere you never would have thought about that you fall in love with. They pay your salary plus pay off your loans. Again, you can have a guarenteed job before you graduate. Both are good places to start, get your loans paid for and get some really good experiences behind you.

I started looking for jobs and applying once I registered for my boards, so at least I can put my test date on my CV. I did note based on my experience and experiences of my classmates that many hospitals will not call back until you are a PA-C. I do recommend that you send all the appropriate paperwork to the state and make sure your school fills out everything the state needs prior to graduation.

Good luck!!!

I was moving across country(pa to ca) so my wife could attend grad school right after I finished pa school.

I had my ca interim license in hand around 2 weeks after graduation. I filed everything but the grad certificate from the pa program months ahead of time.

I started looking for positions around 1 yr before graduation and kept a clip file of good jobs. I started sending out cv's about 1 month before graduation and had 4 interviews lined up within 1 month of graduation and was offered 3/4 jobs and picked the one that seemed best at the time from those 3.

I had some job offers during rotations but those were all on the wrong side of the country.

Archived