General question about clinical rotations

Hi all - I am a pre-PA. I'm trying to get a better sense of what the clinical rotations are like - I have a friend who is in medical school, she takes overnight call, works 12+ hr shifts, studies most nights - are PA clinical rotations similar? Do PA students take overnight call? In general, what are the expectations?

Thank you.

• Administrator

It depends on the school and the rotations. In my surgery rotation, I took call twice in six weeks, just like the medical students were required to--for me, it was optional. I'm only in my second rotation, but I've been met with essentially the same expectations as my preceptors have for [O]MS-3's and -4's.

• 3 weeks later...

It definitely depends on the rotation you are in and how many other students are with you during your time there. I had 24 hour on calls during my OB-GYN rotation (which actually turned out to be 28 hours including rounds and morning lectures). I had five 12 hour shifts and on call during my ortho rotation, but other students had only three 12 hour shifts since there were students from other programs there during that same time frame. Make the most out of your time in each rotation!

Good luck!!

It definitely depends on the rotation you are in and how many other students are with you during your time there. I had 24 hour on calls during my OB-GYN rotation (which actually turned out to be 28 hours including rounds and morning lectures). I had five 12 hour shifts and on call during my ortho rotation, but other students had only three 12 hour shifts since there were students from other programs there during that same time frame. Make the most out of your time in each rotation!

Good luck!!

• 6 months later...
How are the location odf clinicals decided? Are you responsable for finding you own clinicals? How does it work?

Depends on the program. My program has established sites where we do our rotations, and you are free to try to set up any of your own if you have connections or want to be in a particular area (this can be difficult as many hospitals are affiliated with certain schools and arent very receptive to outside students).

To the OP- I've done many of my rotations with medical students and we have the same expectations and schedules.

Archived