How much weight is put on recommended classes?

So I know that some PA programs has a section where they say you should take these classes, but you don't have to. Obviously not taking it won't hurt you (much, if any at all). However, how much does it help you if you do take the recommended courses? I think it's pretty obvious that getting a good grade (A) will be good and place you on the very far end of the positive spectrum. 

However how would your application compare to another person's application. Let's say person X had good grades (3.5 gpa etc.) but did not take a recommended course(s) (Nutrition, Ochem 2, Genetics etc.). Let's say another person has the same GPA as well (3.5). However, person Y took the recommended course(s) but still had the same GPA as X. Would admissions find person Y to be a little bit of a better applicant because they took the courses?

Or are these recommended courses just there for your own good? 

Just to add - which of the commonly recommended classes do you think would help the most to take before PA school? Let's say if you only had room for 1 or 2 of them. I'm trying to decide which of them to take next semester since I'll be done with the required prereqs after this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When reading the course descriptions, which one do you feel weakest in? That way it can be a course to better prepare you/ make you more well rounded. That is also something that can be brought up in interviews (why you chose that particular course- to better prepare yourself for PA school/ make you more well rounded)

Archived