CNA clinical hours

Hey there. I'm curious if I can list the 75 hours of skilled nursing rotations required for my CNA license as part of my HCE. While I realize this is a state requirement in my state, I know some states do not require this. Thus, it may be 75 extra hours that other CNA applicants may not have. Any thoughts?

Almost everywhere that I have looked has said that clinical hours as part of a program do NOT count. Check CASPA - it may even say on the application itself whether you're allowed to include them. And, as always, you may want to contact the individual programs you want to apply to.

Eh, I know it's not a huge difference, but I'm one of those lower-on-HCE-higher-on-academics kinda applicants, so anything helps. :)

Per CASPA, they said I can claim it as non-paid HCE as long as it's ok with a grad school. Unfortunately, because I'm applying to several grad schools, maybe I'll leave it off so I don't appear as though I'm stretching anything.

I've got about 600 hours HCE as a CNA, 500 hours volunteer caregiving for a person who was paralyzed (one of my LoRs too), and 85 hours shadowing. I'm hoping this will satisfy some of the academic-heavy schools that don't require HCE, but state that competitive applicants have it. I've also thrown in a school or two that have low HCE requirements (like 200 hours).

I can see it now, 675 hours HCE instead of 600! A 12% increase! Hah. I'm probably polishing a turd here. :)

I kinda wish more schools posted statistics about accepted applicant HCE. I feel like even with a 3.9 GPA in mostly science-based classes, I'm still likely to get beat out by others with the same stats PLUS 40,000 hours HCE as the president's personal hemorrhoid lancer. The competition just seems so intense. Hopefully I'm wrong. Instead, I hope that they receive mostly applicants who have token HCE, kinda like you mentioned. That way this polished turd looks shiny enough for grad schools to covet!

That's good to know. I've been cramming classes in all year to make it in on time for this year's CASPA. Worst case scenario, I don't get accepted anywhere and pick up a year of HCE. While I don't prefer this option, it would certainly open the door for more schools.

I will be in the same position as you soon, but instead of cramming classes I will be cramming HCE. I agree that it will certainly open the door for more schools including the schools previously applied to. BUT, no one wants to be rejected the first time around so hopefully you are not forced to choose that option

Archived