They're at it again...

• Administrator

Sometimes, sure we take jobs that would otherwise go to NPs, and likewise they get jobs which would otherwise go to PAs.  The anti-PA, pro-NP partisans like to tout the academic credentials, because it makes them look good.  In the same way, pro-PA, anti-NP partisans point out how much useless "nursing theory" and paper-driven those masters and doctoral degrees are, while we PAs do 3,000+ clinical hours or so, with mandatory rotations in many more areas of medicine that NPs don't get.

It isn't trolling. It is a fair question to a comment posted by an angry NP. It is a strawman argument to suggest it doesn't deserve discussion because there are other NPs that don't share the same sentiment.

I find the "dragging the PAs along" comment most interesting because the NPs have ridden our legislative work non stop here in Texas. Virtually every advance they have made here they did by tagging their profession onto our legislative work. It is also interesting that this writer thinks some non clinical time to get a PhD somehow translates into clinical competency. That too is worthy of some discussion. Maybe you have some articles or comments that point out their love of the PA profession?

So Doctor of Biology and Doctor Liberal Arts must be closer to MD/DO because they say Doctor? 

Take this for example..

Are online programs available?

Nursing is a very hands-on profession so you might assume online programs don't exist, but they do. Students can earn both BSNs and MSNs online at a range of schools with some offering part-time curriculums as well.

Online programs may offer live web-based teaching and when it's time to complete clinical hours, online programs typically set students up at a site the school has partnered with.

How much will my education cost?

Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey offers an Adult Nurse Practitioner MSN program that costs $1,066 per credit. This eight-semester program consists of 48 credits, which would amount to $51,168 for tuition only.

Attending an accredited school such as Seton Hall may allow you to apply for financial aid, whether the school you select is a traditional classroom or online program.

The average PA program is 90+ credits nearly double that of NP and there are a total of ZERO online PA programs. The comment at the top is ignorant bliss.

...you managed to find an insulting post on the internet.  This is irresponsible and trolling and the MODERATOR response is also insufficient.  This forum is a haven for this sort of malcontent.

Yeah because I spend my time looking for this type of nonsense. 

I was actually on LinkedIn and noticed that the AAPA has changed to American Academy of PAs so I went on FB to see if it's the same there. Typed in AANP to see if it was the same also. Clicked on one of the new laws they are trying to implement and hold and behold...that was the first comment I saw and was caught off guard. 

I don't owe you an explanation but don't jump to conclusion...

There are something like 2.8 million registered nurses in the United States and you managed to find an insulting post on the internet.  This is irresponsible and trolling and the MODERATOR response is also insufficient.  This forum is a haven for this sort of malcontent.

This is the kind of naive, "Neville Chamberlain" response that allows people to walk all over us. Organized nursing is against us. They spent small fortunes in many jurisdictions fighting our practice legislation. They tout their advanced curriculum which does little to teach you how to care for sick people, then they co-opt the label "doctor" thereby cheapening it for both physicians and people that go out and earn a research intense doctoral degree. Their training is almost exclusively focused on climbing the hospital hierarchy and installing a mafia like nurse-centric system.

I am unwilling to accept any asinine rhetoric that holds that NP education is near equivalent to MD education. NP education is not even near equivalent to PA education.

• Administrator

This is irresponsible and trolling and the MODERATOR response is also insufficient.

And what, exactly, do you propose the moderators should do for this post?

I suspect, based on this and other interactions we've had, that you expect moderators to be something different than what the moderators ourselves expect us to be.

There are something like 2.8 million registered nurses in the United States and you managed to find an insulting post on the internet.  This is irresponsible and trolling and the MODERATOR response is also insufficient.  This forum is a haven for this sort of malcontent.

db_pavnp, are you also on the nursing forums calling NPs out whenever they demean the PA profession or post false information?

This is a forum for PAs, PA students, and those working to join the profession. I think your incredulity is misplaced. Expecting us not to have camaraderie and be supportive of our own profession is nonsensical.

In the immortal words of Samwise Gamgee, "Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here!"

And what, exactly, do you propose the moderators should do for this post?

Isn't it clear? You are supposed to censor anything that has the potential to injure anyone's feelings or self-image.

In modern America, people apparently have gained a constitutional right to live a life free from offense and disagreement.

db_pavnp, are you also on the nursing forums calling NPs out whenever they demean the PA profession or post false information?

Do you know what I don't do?  I don't take the NP digs on this forum and post them on allnurses.com.  Think about it.

By the way, there is a term for doing that.  I think some forums call it "instigating raiding".  It is not allowed in many online communities.  So, yeah, I have expectations of moderators, especially on "professional" forum.  I feel like the quotations around professional are probably necessary at this point.

It's hard to not find that post hilarious. Going on a huge rant about PAs only to find out PA meant Pennsylvania...priceless. Aren't context clues a third grade reading strategy?

Yes and it appears this individual was shown up one too many times by rockstar PAs and there exists bad blood. #ignoramus

• Administrator
By the way, there is a term for doing that.  I think some forums call it "instigating raiding".  It is not allowed in many online communities.  So, yeah, I have expectations of moderators, especially on "professional" forum.  I feel like the quotations around professional are probably necessary at this point.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

As a moderator, and someone who's held similar or more responsible posts at much bigger websites, I'm not sure how I would begin even defining "instigating raiding", which is a term I've never heard of before your post.  I'm even less sure how I would go about enforcing such a prohibition in any meaningfully neutral way that didn't just enforce my own content biases.

98% of the posts I delete are spam.  About 1% are duplicates posted by people who didn't read and understand the forum rules, and in only one instance so far have I actually deleted posts by a poster who was carrying personal attacks into unrelated threads.  By and large, the posters here are a LOT more professional than any other group of random people who self-assemble based on a a common interest.  Remember, we aren't a medical society where you have to pay money to show up.  We're ad-supported.  That means anyone can join--not just members of AAPA or one of its constituent societies.  With that openness comes less control over identities (if we don't charge your credit card, we really have no way of knowing who you really are) and conduct... and despite that, forum participants do a wonderful job of conducting themselves appropriately, compared to other websites I've been involved with.

I intuited it from the content and tone and the fact it is an NP forum. I could be wrong. I suppose their could be civilians in their forum cheering for independent practice. Regardless the issues are the same. Independent practice, who is qualified and who isn't, who is dragging who down.

This seems to be degenerating into a cat fight. No winners to be had.

In 25 years I have worked with NPs who were awesome and those that are not - same with PAs, MDs, DOs. 

The internet is mass communication that we didn't have years ago. Being anonymous on the internet gives some a sense of license to be harsh and derogatory when they probably couldn't muster the same gumption face to face.

The professions don't get along on a national industry basis despite collegial relationships among thousands of active providers. The agendas are different and the perception of one's education (Masters vs Doctorate etc etc) continues to be a roadblock to any type of collaboration.

As long as lobbyists and politicians are involved and the "information" is gathered from physicians who don't work with PAs or don't understand the educational process - nothing will move forward.

AAPA does NOT support the PA process nationally to any level of depth or fervor that is needed. The NPs have millions of RNs in their court who aren't NPs cut count on their rolls and in their lobbying dollars - not a fair situation in my opinion. 

A couple of folks on this forum need to agree to disagree.

I, for one, value this forum as an arena to air my thoughts, fears, gripes, kudos and love for my chosen career. Censorship has no place here - political correctness is just a bad form of passive aggression. 

So, my take - some folks will never see eye to eye - variety of life - don't hurt each other and go about your lives without spreading undue hatred and drivel.

My very old 2 cents......

Archived