Professional Certification vs Professional Registration

Guest DLuong

Guest DLuong

I guess what I was trying to ask was - what is the difference between the two in regards to the Caspa application? Under personal data there is a section titled "Certifications" - "Check if you have any professional certification" and "Check if you have any professional registrations".

I'm currently an EMT and passed the registry test. I am certified in Alameda County (California) and registered by NREMT. So would I checkbox both professional certification and registration?

According to the CASPA FAQ:

"Registrations Any current professional certifications (CNA, CPR, etc) should be listed under "health related training." The registration section is referring to professional organizations you may belong to, for example, the American Academy of Physician's Assistants."

I believe what they are trying to do is distinguish the difference between being CERTIFIED by an agency as opposed to BELONGING to a professional organization.

For example, getting your CPR certification doesn't make you a member of the American Heart Association, they just certified you to do CPR. Therefore that would only go under Health Related Training. Conversely, you can join the AASPA (American Association of Surgical Physician Assistants) even before applying to PA school, which would be considered a Registration and go under personal data.

Guest DLuong

This is confusing! I think I'm going to list the following as is:

AAPA affiliate member: under REGISTRATIONS.

NREMT national ems certification: under health related training (do/should I even list this? I just want to make sure to the admission committee that I indeed went to emt school AND registered as an EMT)

CA EMS Academy: under health related training.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I took an EMT course at a hospital, passed the registration exam with NREMT and am certified with my state's Dept of Public Health, how do I list these on CASPA?

Do they all need to be under "health related training" or does just the course at the hospital belong there with the other two represented under "personal data"?

THANK YOU!

Since I took an EMT course at a hospital, passed the registration exam with NREMT and am certified with my state's Dept of Public Health, how do I list these on CASPA?

Do they all need to be under "health related training" or does just the course at the hospital belong there with the other two represented under "personal data"?

THANK YOU!

Archived