Seriously considering a career change to PA- please help!

Hello,

After working in education for nine years I want to make the switch to the medical field, and being a PA has a lot of appeal to me. I have about six prerequisite classes and one year of medical experience that I need to complete before I can start a two year program at Riverside Community College. I feel great about going back to school, but I do have a couple of concerns that I am hoping the people on this board can address.

Considering the program, I must continue to work full time as I get my prereqs. I would like it if I could continue to teach and maybe take a side job during this time to get the required hours (2000) of hands on experience for entrance into the program. Could anyone recommend a great way to get these hours for working professionals? I would like to enter an occupation that is quick to get certified in and that might be a bit flexible concerning my day job. I don't intend to stay in the initial medical career that I choose as I am only using it as a bridge to get admitted into the PA program. Being able to work nights or weekends would be an option as I have no children or other obligations. I would also be willing to take a year off to work, but I worry about doing so and not being admitted to the program. I receive very good grades but worry about such things.

Another question relates to the vacation time that PA's get. It is important for me to have time to travel. I don't expect to get nearly as much time as I do in teaching, but would like around five weeks a year. Is this a possibility in this field? Does one regularly take a prolonged vacation or is that hard to do when working under the supervision of a doctor?

Finally, I have a slight aversion to cutting people open. If you've had the same aversion, do you think it tends to recede after time? If I worked as a PA, I would probably prefer dermatology and don't mind the minor cutting, but the idea of surgery is a bit of a turn off. I know PA's must be exposed to such things, but in the long term I wouldn't want to be in surgery. Basically, is this something you were able to get over through time?

Thanks in advance for any help provided. I'm really excited about the possibility, but want to make sure of exactly what I would be getting myself into!

1. 2000 hours is one year is 40 hours a week. To do this, plus attend your pre req classes, and work full time would be a super human feat. Not saying impossible, but you better eat your Wheaties. Your time line may need to get revisited.

2. EMT and CNA are two very popular medical fields that have quick cert processes and are needed 24/7/365. Probably could find work at odd times fairly easily, but may need to be unconventional, such as working for an agency being farmed out to do home health care as a CNA. ER and ambulance jobs are sweet gigs, but they typically require a bit more predictability, but not always.

3. Time off as a PA can be variable depending on your job. Imagine yourself as the clinic owner who needs to staff providers to take care of patients. If your providers are always bugging out for this trip or the other, it may be a bit of a drag. Conversely, there are many opportunities for PAs to work abroad. Perhaps you can combine your love of travel and work all in one fell swoop.

4. Family practice, pediatrics, psychiatry are very quick examples of PA fields that don't require the provider to perform surgery. Even though a surgeon will always tell you "don't let the skin stand between you and the diagnoses", you don't have to approach everything with bright lights and cold steel (an OR) You will more than likely experience surgical procedures during school, but you can grunt it out and push through.

Good luck

Guest Swennerb

The grass isn't always greener on the other side- what is it about your education job that makes you want a career change after 9 years? Because life is short,..are you a live to work person? Or a work to live? Honestly- although working in education may not make as much money or be as intellectually stimulating- it offers many perks, such as the opportunity to work with and inspire kids/adolescents, good hours, low stress, .....you have to be realistic. PA school will be an expensive, time consuming effort in itself- before you even start working. I say the glass is half full where you are at! Not that I don't love my profession- but in this economy, if I were you- I wouldn't make a change like that and go back to school unless you hate teaching so much you can't get out of bed in the morning.

Not sure what you teach or what level, but some programs will waive certain pre-requisites if you are in that field. i.e. Waive microbiology due to teaching micro at the college level for X amount of years teaching. A quick call or email to the program will fill you in.

I would look into becoming an EMT and see about volunteering with a squad on the weekend and overnight shifts. The class takes 3-4 months depending on how often class is held. Mine was classroom learning tuesdays & thursdays evenings for ~4 hours and practicals every other sat morn for ~8. You can work in the ED as a tech or as an EMT-B as part of a squad. You will have the opportunity see medical and trauma across all demographics, a nice intro into medicine. (In the county where I volunteered, if you lived there, your property tax for vehicles was waived, and I think all if not a portion of the house tax was waived. We were allowed 5-10 dollars every 6 six hours too, but most didn't submit for that.) You may find you enjoy running squad and chose to do so after you graduate. Some states will let you challenge the Paramedic exam as a PA.

Vacation will depend on many things including what you require in your contract, but I am sure a PA can fill you in better than I.

Our first semester there is an intense Anatomy and Physiology course where 4 students dissect a cadaver over the 16 weeks. 15 hours a week of required class and lab (you spend many more after hours in the lab). We had a few students who turned pale when we first opened the bags and learned to handle and clean or bodies. By the 4th week or so, not a single person was bothered. You get used to it very quickly.

One last thought, are you sure you want to limit your choices to one school? I have seen people be successful with that strategy, but that is the exception. I would widen my choices drastically unless completely impossible. PA school becomes more competitive each year.

Agree with MOST of what has been previously written...

I would look into becoming an EMT and see about volunteering with a squad on the weekend and overnight shifts. The class takes 3-4 months depending on how often class is held.

I would only add that there ARE programs that you can complete in 2-3 weeks... do a internet search for "Accelerated EMT Programs"...

Teaching just isn't for me anymore. I work in an urban environment and unless you've been in education it is hard to see how truly stressful it is becoming. I work with high school adolescents and while I've contributed for many years, I know that it's time for a change. I've held on for a while but the idea of going to school now appears less stressful than having to stay in the classroom four more years.

Contrarian pointed out that there are accelerated EMT programs that can be done in as little as 2-4 weeks. You could do that over the summer and then volunteer on the weekends as was suggested above. That would at least give you some insight into the medical field and you'll be in better shape to evaluate if this is what you truly want and if quitting your job in education is the way to go.

Here are a couple of places that offer four week courses that look like they'd be fun:

http://www.soloschools.com/

http://www.wildmed.com/

I poked around on Riverside's website for a few minutes to see if they had old stats posted other than the PANCE. Specifically, to see what the average amount of HCE that their sitting class had. My point...UW/Medex requires 4000 hours (2 years) of direct patient care. The average HCE for this coming class is just over 12,000 hours. (six+ years). Granted, there are people at all ends of the spectrum...the guy with 4000.001 hours and the guy with over 20 years experience..the grey beards skewing the average up a bit but there are not as many seats at the minimum stats table. Perhaps you would benefit from casting a wider net for schools to apply to when that time comes.

As for volunteer time...call the school. I think most of here can agree that volunteering as an EMT where there is not a paid service available is a lot different than volunteering at the Red Cross blood drive. Medex does not accept volunteerism for hours unless it is what I wrote...working on ambulance as an EMT or Medic where paid services are not available.

Good luck, study hard. You'll need a killer GPA.

YUP, as above. although riverside is a newer program they have an "old school mentality". one year of experience will likely not even get you an interview there as their avg is much higher and they have the lowest pa school tuition in the country so competition for seats is fierce..

Just wanted to mention that with my new job I will be getting 5 weeks of paid time off, but that includes sick time. Taking it in chunks of more than 2 weeks is usually tough, but it all depends on where you work. Private practice vs hospital setting? Small practice vs big practice? What field? etc. Good luck

When I was running as a EMT I came across of a 14 Day training boot camp although I don't know much about it although some maybe scams but check out this forum http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112194

But if you are really serious about getting into PA school. go down to the schools, and ask them what they want in a candidate and what they require. that itself should save you much heartache

Archived