Formaldehyde in cadavers - a carcinogen yet widely used

I'm in anatomy in PA school now. I have been thinking about how while formaldehyde is "a known carcinogen" to some important organizations such as the International Agency for Research on Cancer, it hasn't been discussed as a health risk whatsoever by the course administrators. What are other people's experience with this and opinion? I think it's being brushed under the rug probably due to lack of better ideas on how to deal with the issue. But in a field known as "healthcare", I'd expect professionals to pay better attention to taking care of one's health. I have a love hate relationship with these kinds of ironies that are riddled throughout the healthcare education and industry in general.

Don't drink it, don't bath in it, don't snort it. http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formalde.html

My understanding is that the cancer warning is born mostly from off gassing of formaldehyde in building products and as a product of combustion. The physical properties of fixed formaldehyde preserving human tissue is different than that used in manufacturing. However, I am not a chemist.

I have not heard of any medical providers coming down with cancer from the chemical. And if there are, what sort of precautions where they taking? Wearing gloves? Gowns? Masks? Safety glasses? I would assume the risk of cancer from your time in a dissection lab is quite minute compared to the diseases you would be exposed to working on a non preserved body.

If it truly bothers you, I'm sure a tyvek suit (bought at any painter's supply store such as Home Depot), a respirator, hair cover, and chemical goggles will keep you safer. Good luck

In brief response to a few posts above, I believe that it's at best unlikely and more realistically impossible to pinpoint a "cause" of cancer when as we all know it is a complex amalgam of genetic predisposition and long-term exposure to various carcinogens in one's environment. This with an emphasis on LONG-TERM... In short, I believe the more carcinogens one is exposed to throughout the span of their life, the more likely they are to develop cancer. It's a cumulative effect, if you will. Of course I won't develop cancer in the short-term from working in the anatomy lab -- that's absurd. But in today's modern world of plastics, chemicals, and high frequency radiation exposure (it's only a matter of time in my opinion until cell-phone radiation is accepted by the mainstream to contribute to cancer), everyone's exposure is much higher than it used to be (hence the obvious rise in cancer rates). Huffing formaldehyde for a semester while dissecting is simply adding to my list of previously ingested carcinogens, undesirable at best.

The European Union apparently has had ongoing debates about outlawing the stuff outright.

Life goes on, and I'll finish my anatomy course learning tons, completing one rite of message on the path to practice medicine... And being exposed to the carcinogen formaldehyde while I'm doing it. Unfortunately, as with many deeply engrained customs (the medical field is chock full of them), it will take more than it should to modify long-standing tradition.

I have absolutely no idea as to alternative embalming solutions, but there is usually a better option...albeit probably more expensive

In brief response to a few posts above, I believe that it's at best unlikely and more realistically impossible to pinpoint a "cause" of cancer when as we all know it is a complex amalgam of genetic predisposition and long-term exposure to various carcinogens in one's environment. This with an emphasis on LONG-TERM... In short, I believe the more carcinogens one is exposed to throughout the span of their life, the more likely they are to develop cancer. It's a cumulative effect, if you will. Of course I won't develop cancer in the short-term from working in the anatomy lab -- that's absurd. But in today's modern world of plastics, chemicals, and high frequency radiation exposure (it's only a matter of time in my opinion until cell-phone radiation is accepted by the mainstream to contribute to cancer), everyone's exposure is much higher than it used to be (hence the obvious rise in cancer rates). Huffing formaldehyde for a semester while dissecting is simply adding to my list of previously ingested carcinogens, undesirable at best.

The European Union apparently has had ongoing debates about outlawing the stuff outright.

Life goes on, and I'll finish my anatomy course learning tons, completing one rite of message on the path to practice medicine... And being exposed to the carcinogen formaldehyde while I'm doing it. Unfortunately, as with many deeply engrained customs (the medical field is chock full of them), it will take more than it should to modify long-standing tradition.

I have absolutely no idea as to alternative embalming solutions, but there is usually a better option...albeit probably more expensive

That is a very well written response. I like your style and flow.

Don't they use formalin now? ...which is formaldehyde (1-2%) in water with a few other additives (if I remember correctly). So the amount of formaldehyde gas you're exposed to is rather minute, however enough that a gravida must wear a protective filtered gas mask.

Archived