Non-PA PA question

Not constructed, but actively and consciously ignored.

And by thus doing, implicitly supported and encouraged.

I would gently venture to suggest that her reaction would have been different had the techs and front desk personnel been wearing " nurse practitioner" name tags.

I ascribe that nurse practioner's " blind eye" in this instance to be a complicit acknowledgment and support of the action.. Which does nothing but ENHANCE her position by DEMEANING mine for reasons detailed in a previous answer.

As most old timers here know, my bias is that, collectively and institutionally, I consider the NP profession to be solidly and covertly working against the PA profession's well being. and consider that, collectively, they look forward to my profession's diminishment and eventual demise.

ANY midlevel practitioner ( and in the work place we ALL are aware of our presence and status.. NP or PA), who sees a non PA or NP labeling himself as such, and ignores that action by inaction, is doing so because they have a hidden, usually self serving, agenda.

If you can think of another reason why the NP allowed this to occur, I'll consider it.

What would you do in this circumstance? And why?

What would I do?? What does it matter? Aaccording to your logic if one yellow dog bites; then all yellow dogs bite.

Well...the "old timers" can check my previous posts as well. My position is, and always has been, that PAs receive a superior education. When the nurses that I work with ask me what they should do I almost alway say "go to PA school". But hey, I am an NP so I must be out to destroy the PA profession.

I don't know why the NP didn't risk his/her job defending your profession. I wasn't there. Nor, I assume, were you.

As if it matters....I would have spoken up. The funny thing is....why???? All thatsSome of the PAs on this site seem to want to do is belittle and destroy MY profession. Would they come to MY rescue if the situation were reversed?

Bottom line. BOO!! By your logic...I am the boogie man. Watch out. I may bite.

dog

Way back when, Duke Graduates called themselves Physician Associates. As far as I know, they were the only school that did. Most schools were afraid the AMA would shut them down and tried to take a more sub-servant title. Back then the AMA and state medical boards were made up of docs more inclined to believe that MD stood for minor deity. Nurses had to wear the little white hats and had to stand up showing respect when a doctor walked into the room. Thankfully, times have changed. PAs really need to do something about their title. You younger types deserve better.

Even though many here on the forum mention that Physician Associate was the original name of the profession based on the Duke program, I thought that I had read somewhere else that back in the early 1970s, the Duke program actually used the title Physician's Associate. Has anyone else heard of his or can anyone debunk this?

One question: Does the clinic employ any PAs? I understand you see a NP, but are there PAs anywhere in the practice? It would be very interesting if there were.

Not to my knowledge. When I was there last, it was a one doc and one NP practice. The NP's roll was more like what we think a PA would be, i.e. not an independent practitioner as is the case with some NPs. Last I heard, another doc had partnered up in some way since I was a patient there last. I don't know if he brought anyone upper mid-level (personal preference in terms as opposed to mid-level) people with him. The NP doesn't do the injections, just does the pre-procedure clearance since I've been there before. A sign of the times I guess. Everyone tries to get there charges in where they can. I spent way to much time in my twenties & thirties on dive boats and am paying for it now with basal cells. Saw a derm not long ago. Scheduler tried to line me up for two separate visits (not a Mohs) for two small basal cells. Used the excuse they didn't like to use to much lidocaine. Insurance pays better with separate procedures than two at once. Told the scheduler she would need a better excuse than that. She caved and I got two small basal cells removed at the same time. No reason to waste my time and kill a half day when it wasn't needed. I can be a *****y patient.

Follow up.

Comes out, I know this clinic and the clinic personnel.

I went there and walked through.

There was one "physician assistant" name tag... And that one belonged to a bone fide PA.

What there is, however, was the following labels on the personnel's name tags/ smocks:

"XYZ Clinic, PA"

(then their name and status, RN, tech, etc")

With the "P.A." after the clinic name referring to professional association.. Which is on every piece of advertising paper in the place.

It is an easy mistake to make.

So there was no malfeasance whatsoever.

And I will take my righteous indignation and like don quiote, go fight another windmill.

rc,

Glad things got straightened out. Last time I was there, there were no actual Physician Assistants there. In fact the tech that helped inject my hand was a up-coming med student with "physician assistant" clearly printed on his name tag. The real PA and new doc that joined them must have gotten them straight. Was the NP still there when you checked?

If you get a chance, send me a PM. I'd love to find out when the change took place and who instigated it.

Archived