PA rotations where you've been a NA

I've been a NA in a ER for 2 years now and recently been accepted into PA school. The Director of PA's for the hospital and I were talking about school and he had mentioned me doing some of my rotations there. Has anyone done this? Going from the Nursing assisant to PA student where they have worked? If so how receptive was the other staff there? Mainly looking at my ER, IM, and Pedi rotations as of now.

I know it's not for a long time but since we've talked it's been in my head and I wanted to see if anyone else has been through it.

Mike

It's totally up to your program to allow you to do rotations at your old job. Yes people have done that, however, since every program is different in terms of how they conduct their rotations, you definitely need to check with your program. They may not even want to talk about rotations until you get closer to the end of your didactic year, but you can always try meeting with the clinical coordinator at your program to discuss about this.

well thats probably a question that the clinical coordinator couldnt answer and definitely something to think about when thinking about the clinical year. I mean if you are allowed then do you really want to rotate somewhere that you have worked.

I would think it would depend more on your relationship with the people you worked with. for some it might be difficult seeing you in that light after working with you for 2 years as a NA BUT the more professional individuals shouldnt have a problem with it. I would see it as a benefit of sorts...i you know the right people you may end up with excellent opportunities as well as a job...one thing you would have to keep in mind is to not get back into the habit of being an NA because thats not what youre there for

I worked as a ER transporter/orderly then as a CNA in a community hospital after I graduated from undergrad. Everyone knew I was working towards PA school, so when I came back to do my ER rotation, it was no big deal. It helped to know my way around and see friendly faces while working the 7p-7a shift. I was offered an elective rotation, so I must've done a good job.

At that same hospital I was offered a hospitalist position- by the same recruiter who hired me as a transporter- for a position they rarely take new grads for. I think my relationship with the hospital definitely helped me there.

As long as your a hard worker and don't act like your suddenly better than everyone else, I only see it as a win-win situation.

Archived