several hundred posts from fghnhg

Spam posts take on many different flavors, and languages as it turns out- a few months ago it was a few here and there that appeared more Arabic in origin- now it's Korean, and much more voluminous.  The past few days have been particularly bad.  They seem to occur at the same time though, so I've been able to catch a few of the offenders while they're still actually online and ban them to stop the flow and then go back and remove the posts.  We've explored different ideas as to be more preventative about this, but it's incredibly difficult without also making it more difficult for actual new posters to register and contribute to the forum.

In speaking for the rest of the mods, we really do appreciate everyone being patient with the spam posts, and know that our main priority is to keep the forum running smoothly

• Administrator

A couple of more points that will help us respond better as moderators:

1) Do not reply to any spam post.  The easiest way to nuke all the topics at once is from the list view, and if we have to dive into original topics to see if they're truly spam or not, such as if there's a post from a known legitimate user as the most recent entry, that takes up a lot more time.

2) Do not use the 'report this post' feature.  It doesn't go to any of the moderators, but presumably to the site owner, who isn't in a position to pass them on to us in a timely manner.

Again, thanks for your patience.

• Administrator

I am sorry that I've not been on top of this as I have been burning the candle at too many ends. I have had settings in place to avoid this, but obviously they find ways around the security. I will try to keep an eye on things here. Mods.....thank you so much for all your help.

Archived