In NC now, there is a licensed/titled person called a "Certified Medical Assistant". The group will quickly set you straight on the difference between a CMA and a CNA if you call one a nursing assistant, like right now in your face. Gosh, I hate acronyms. But at any rate, they do seem to perform different levels of care. My understanding, like the old grayback PAs, (silvertip grizzlies) at the start of the PA concept, there were a group of doctor trained CMAs that were grandfathered in, but none now without formal education of two years I believe I heard.

Yeah apparently you cannot challenge the exam to become certified....however some doctors still use uncertified MAs as well as otj trained MAs.....at least I worked for one that operated this way

In NC now, there is a licensed/titled person called a "Certified Medical Assistant". The group will quickly set you straight on the difference between a CMA and a CNA if you call one a nursing assistant, like right now in your face. Gosh, I hate acronyms. But at any rate, they do seem to perform different levels of care. My understanding, like the old grayback PAs, (silvertip grizzlies) at the start of the PA concept, there were a group of doctor trained CMAs that were grandfathered in, but none now without formal education of two years I believe I heard.

Yes, I am a Certified Medical Assistant in California, certified by the AAMA (American Association of Medical Assistants)... it requires an exam, plus 60 CEUs in 5 years to keep your certification. I had an Associate's degree in medical assisting as well. BUT, my office has also hired untrained/unschooled MAs as well in the past.

I was a MA from 99-2008 and NEVER attended a MA program nor was I a CMA.....I was a Hospital Corpsman which is NOT the equivalent of a MA in the military....My point is if some MA's were trained OJT for YEARS, I take them over a new CMA anyday. I truly feel CMA is UNNECESSARY, CMA was an attempt to extract money from MA's and increase the already ridiculous tuition for MA programs . Not unlike the BSMA programs that are now cropping up Sheesh! Degree Creep knows no bounds!!!. My $.02

I worked as an emt/ma in california in the 80's as an er tech. to get my "ma certification" in california at the time I had to draw blood 10 times and give 10 Im injections in the presence of an er nurse. took less than a week.

I had my medical assisting training at a California Community College.... cost me next to nothing for my degree! I have no problem working with MAs who have no training whatsoever... sometimes it's easier than trying to re-train others. Mine was a 1 year certificate program, but if you had all the necessary other courses, you received your AS at the same time. Part of the reason for having Certified MAs is just to show that they have had a standard set of courses so you know when you hire one, they have had experience (at least the basics) in certain areas.

Archived