What would you say?

right. I've had to deal with hostile support staff before. in my case it was a resentful receptionist with a chip on her shoulder who refused to do anything to help me b/c I "wasn't a doc". one day after I asked her to fax something for me, she arrived in my cubicle and all 6 ft of her stood over me, attempting to rip me a new one and "put me in my place"...I told her to back off and said she was waaaaay out of line, then reached for the phone to call security when she continued her rant. she left, yelling over her shoulder, and I called my supervisor. we had a meeting and in this meeting she justified her position saying, "why should I do things for her when we are co-workers?". she did not want to give me any respect b/c in her mind, only a doc should get that. she was corrected by being told, "she is a licensed, clinical professional, and is to be given exactly the same support as any of the surgeons". she apologized to me and changed her 'tude. at least for awhile ;)

some people hate their jobs and have attitudes of entitlement, and look to staff who have more ambiguous positions (mid-levels) to act-out their hostility. in the case of this passive-aggressive MA, I would just say, "you probably could, if you had a license. too bad you can't" and then tell her you have documentation to do. or ask her if "we" have a patient waiting? just politely blow her off and do your work. if she becomes uncooperative (stops doing her job) and is not doing her job (supporting you, a provider) as a result, discuss it with your practice or op manager. you should not have your patient flow interfered with by a balky, hostile worker. MAs can be rather easily replaced, and facilities know this. a good PA...well, those're a bit tougher to come by, and more expensive to acquire and train.

Kitt: I totally feel you. Thanks for your post.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started out as an MA myself and I keep repeating this fact to the derm MA... with the implied message that I did what she did and am now a PA, so it can be done. I don't think she gets it. And she is actually much younger than I am.

So the two of you have something in common. She thinks she can do your job and you can, and in fact have, done her job. Perhaps you should trade for a week.

I started out as an MA myself and I keep repeating this fact to the derm MA... with the implied message that I did what she did and am now a PA, so it can be done. I don't think she gets it. And she is actually much younger than I am.

So the two of you have something in common. She thinks she can do your job and you can, and in fact have, done her job. Perhaps you should trade for a week.

That WOULD be interesting...

Archived