Out of state..?

Does being an out-of-state applicant really affect your chances of being accepted? I read on the website that this Touro campus does give some priority to California residents. As a Florida resident, this is obviously going to work against me. Any opinions on how important it is to be a resident? Thanks!

Hi there-

I'm in the class of 2013, just about to finish our first year. Our class is about 50/50. 50% from CA, 50% from all over, including other countries. They don't really give explicit. A lot of CA residents apply to the program so it shakes out that the classes have a strong CA contingent. However, the program does ultimately want to provide PAs to the health care field in CA. It's not like they profile though. Being from another state can set you apart and actually be an advantage. It definitely should not discourage you from applying.

I hope that helps,

Jake

I just graduated form there and several people were 'out of state'. That phrase doesn't have the same meaning when you have lived in several states and your family lives in several others...besides California can be hard to leave :) The program wants the best candidates, and ones that are actually interested in earning the Public Health Masters that coincides with the Physician Assistant degree. For those interested in Public Health I could not advocate more for this combination....if you do not have any passion for it I would not undergo the added stress a dual degree!

Thank you both for your help! I definitely want to apply, and I'm glad to hear that I SHOULDN'T be discouraged, because I definitely was after I first read over the information. JLove, I can't really fathom the amount of work you all must do in completing two degrees, but I really love the idea that you will be so well-versed in both PA studies and public health once you graduate. Does the MPH program have different tracks that you can pick from? Also, can either of you tell me how big your classes are/were? Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...

Thats great that someone else from Florida wants to attend this program. I have family in San Francisco and really love the area, as well as the dual degree. This is actually my top school. I would love to know if you got in and if so how your experience was applying here...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived