Sharing the patient list?

Guest Swennerb

Guest Swennerb

Just got back from a derm interview and this topic left a bad taste in my mouth- but I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

This doctor sees ~ 50-60 patients a day and splits the patients with the PA. Like,

" I see one, you see one"- but after the PA sees their patient, he also sees that patient.

And he claims the PA can not have their own list of patients bc he tried that in the past and it was a "disaster" bc patients "didn't want to pay their bills, and didn't want to see just the PA"- so there for now he must see everyone along with the PA. Which- if I'm correct, somewhat defeats the purpose of having a PA?!

Now, my thoughts are- well if it was a "disaster" for you and your patients for people to come and see your PA- it's because you don't support your PA. I mean,..I just want to know if this is common? Bc if it is then atleast I know what's normal and what to expect.

I don't think it's that common, and you are correct- it's because the SP does not utilize the PA effectively. A PA is there to expand a practice, not make more work on the SP. Are there any other PA's there? Personally, every place I've ever worked (pre-PA school)- the PA's had their own patients. Even in my rotations, they pretty much are autonomous. He seems unsure as to how to use your services, and personally, I would stay away from this guy.

There is a derm office to which we refer on a pretty regular basis. They have a couple of PAs over there and both have their own "Pt list"... In fact, many of our patients that are going over for more routine things (AK, rash, etc) have never seen the SP... I hear very few complaints about their office, staff, or procedures so I figure that must be working pretty well...

Guest Swennerb

Well he tried to say that PA's only get reimbursed at 80% by Medicare- that's why I can't eventually have my own list. but still,..I hear of sooo many PA's who are solo in Derm, and making great % bonuses. I feel like he's taking my autonomy and bonus percentage out of the equation w the sharing thing. And I don't like that these patients think they are booking appt w the dr and seeing me? It's confusing.

Archived