USD applicants 2011

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to southpawmedic:

just curious, I see you joined this forum in 2006 did you start to work on your pre-reqs then? were you working at the same time?

I am new to the healthcare field and I am trying to map out my game plan. I have about half of my pre-reqs done, but no HCE. I was thinking of taking next semester off and getting an EMT certificate so I can work as an Emergency room tech part time while finishing my pre-reqs.

Any advice?

to southpawmedic:

just curious, I see you joined this forum in 2006 did you start to work on your pre-reqs then? were you working at the same time?

I am new to the healthcare field and I am trying to map out my game plan. I have about half of my pre-reqs done, but no HCE. I was thinking of taking next semester off and getting an EMT certificate so I can work as an Emergency room tech part time while finishing my pre-reqs.

Any advice?

Hi Maria70! I did join this forum in 2006 while I was contemplating my next step in the healthcare field. I started as an EMT-B on a volunteer squad for a handful of years before going on to Paramedic school. I stayed on as a volunteer for almost two years as a medic before taking a full time position after our new hospital was built. I did work a full time job as a sales rep for oncology equipment so I had some limited "experience" in the medical field prior to becoming an EMT and Paramedic. The medic position I took included ER time as well as EMS since our ambulance is hospital based. There are three full time medics and the remainder of the ambulance staff are volunteer EMT-B's and I's. When we aren't running calls, we take patients in the ER just like the RN's do. This has given me even more experience and has made me realize I would like to go the next step. It took me just over 2 years to finish my undergrad in Psychology (did a few very interesting papers examining doctors' comparitive opinions between male and female nurses) and am just starting my last two pre-reqs. Those will be finished in a few months. I've worked full time and have a family as well all through this. There have been struggles (I failed my first college math course due to insane hours at work over a year ago!) but it has all been worth it. The health care experience has and will make things easier. We have a few mid-levels working in the connected clinic here. One of them went to PA school with no experience several years ago and it shows! If you can secure some HCE, it will absolutely be to your benefit. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at southpawmedic@gmail.com

Did anyone else get the link for the supplemental application? (Not the grad school app)

Yes, I got it! I assume everyone that meets the minimum requirements gets the supplemental but not positive. I filled it out and emailed it back last week. Glad to be done with applications but hate the long waiting period.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys/girls, just a quick note to say I have decided to withdraw my app to USD so hopefully that will work towards someone's advantage here - cuz I want EVERY SINGLE ONE of you to get in! Please know I am most humble in my statement here in that I know there is absolutely NO indication that I was any sort of competitive applicant here! I have decided to withdraw because a few weeks ago I received notification that two of my undergrad chemistry classes would not meet the pre-requisite criteria which I was not expecting to be told and that I would need to take a second semester of General Chemistry as well as repeat Organic or Biochemisty and I just really disagree with this decision but of course accept it and by no means am I am mad or angry with the school or the AC. I have spent time thinking thru this decision to not follow thru on their recommendation and will now of course accept the consequences that I have even further limited my dream but believe if this is God's will, the door will open in one of the other two programs I have applied to, whom have both accepted my undergrad coursework as meeting their pre-requisities. I have been a healthcare professional for 20 years with additional certifications in my field and numerous continuing medical education (CME) credits in addition to being a PA-NP CME provider. As you already know this school is very competitive with just 10 students from SD and 10 from outside. The student I wrote a LOR for started about 3 weeks ago and is loving every minute of it and I hope each and every one of you will be accepted and maybe our paths will cross at a convention or workshop one day! As an Ironman Triathlete I love challenges and never-ever quit. This experience is just one of those branches I need to skim around! All the Best!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am applying to USD this year as well. I have five years HCE but a not so stellar GPA, but am still hopeful. My CASPA has been accepted, mailed, and received (I submitted it on the last day :S) and I have submitted the supplemental application. Really hoping for an invite. Good luck to everyone else applying!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@ southpawmedic & gblanch, congrats you two on your invites to interview. I received a rejection letter today from USD and was wondering if you two would mind giving some of us some statistical advice so we know for this year at least what type of stats it took to even get an interview...what were your final calculated gpa's from CASPA, how much healthcare experience have you had, your ages, professional licenses that you hold, how often you have shadowed PA's etc. I think that information might be really helpful to those of us who were not given interviews so we might have something to strive for or at least know what USD was looking for. Thank you for your time and again congratulations.

Sorry Blue22 that you received that! Don't be down on yourself! Did you try anywhere else? As far as my stats go here is what I've got.

39 year old male in Iowa

CASPA GPA - 3.43

HC Experience - Volunteer EMT-B (520 hours), currently a Paramedic (over 12,000 hours as of my CASPA filing)

Certified in all required to work full time as a paramedic

I am employed for a hospital-based ambulance service where I work in the ER with the same responsibilities an RN does if I'm not out running calls. We work with a staffed ER nurse but take patients just like they do. We also have a clinic connected that has 2 PA's and 2 NP's along with the docs.

I also have a BS in Psychology.

I hope that helps.

Archived