National Health Service Corps: Deadline from application to start of work

Hey folks:

I intend to work in a federally-qualified clinic when I graduate (I've lined up my last rotation in a clinic I hope will hire me), and I would like to apply to the NHSC to get my loans paid back. The deadlines for the application cycle look like they are made for traditional students, rather than PA students (who can graduate at any time). I graduate at the end of July next year. The application cycle for NHSC runs from November till May. From what I read, the earlier you get the application in, the better. I wanted to apply next year before I graduate, so that I can get the loan repayment when I start work; however, they say you are required to start work 60 days after you submit your application. It looks like I'll have to wait another year to apply, since even if I wait till the last day of the application cycle, there is still no way I could start working before I even graduate.

Anyone else run into this problem? The only "exception" I've seen is geared toward doctors finishing their residency....

Suggestions?

IHS has a similar loan repayment program which starts it's application cycle in September of each year until August of the next. I believe you could apply now. You most likely will not know until January, or sooner, depending on funding, but that's better than waiting a whole application cycle...here's the link if you're interested: http://www.ihs.gov/jobscareerdevelop/dhps/lrp/eligibility_criteria.cfm

I hope this helps.

Hey folks:

I intend to work in a federally-qualified clinic when I graduate (I've lined up my last rotation in a clinic I hope will hire me), and I would like to apply to the NHSC to get my loans paid back. The deadlines for the application cycle look like they are made for traditional students, rather than PA students (who can graduate at any time). I graduate at the end of July next year. The application cycle for NHSC runs from November till May. From what I read, the earlier you get the application in, the better. I wanted to apply next year before I graduate, so that I can get the loan repayment when I start work; however, they say you are required to start work 60 days after you submit your application. It looks like I'll have to wait another year to apply, since even if I wait till the last day of the application cycle, there is still no way I could start working before I even graduate.

Anyone else run into this problem? The only "exception" I've seen is geared toward doctors finishing their residency....

Suggestions?

Yeah I am currently 4 months into my loan repayment. Graduated in July 2010, started working at a FQHC in august. Deadline closed, waited till November till it opened again, submitted all my paperwork in 1 week, got confirmation and signed my contract in march and started my term of service. June 2nd received my check and now I have 20 months left. So I worked 8 months before my term of service started. Pretty standard, had another classmate who went through the same process. But it's worth it.

You could apply for the scholarship and that pays form you loans during school, it's more competitive probably cause of the stipen u receive during school

Thanks, Zeus, that was the info I was looking for. Basically, I wanted to know if I should start the job and then apply or apply while still in rotations before I actually secure the job. Personally, for PAs, I think the loan repayment option makes more sense than the scholarship option, unless you apply before you go to PA school (not just cause the loan repayment is easier to secure than the scholarship, but because the scholarship is really set up for a med school schedule more than a PA school schedule). I considered it, but there was too much going on. From what I understand, loan repayment is a little more lenient on the score of the clinic etc. I hope to work in an urban area for a clinic that has a score of 15, I believe. I guess it is not that big of a deal to wait 8 months for the payment to kick in, since I hope I will want to work at this clinic much longer than the 2 year commitment. I just wanted to avoid paying back any of my loans if I could (don't we all want that...ha!)

Do they just cut you a check for the 60K? or 30K each year?

Thanks, Zeus, that was the info I was looking for. Basically, I wanted to know if I should start the job and then apply or apply while still in rotations before I actually secure the job. Personally, for PAs, I think the loan repayment option makes more sense than the scholarship option, unless you apply before you go to PA school (not just cause the loan repayment is easier to secure than the scholarship, but because the scholarship is really set up for a med school schedule more than a PA school schedule). I considered it, but there was too much going on. From what I understand, loan repayment is a little more lenient on the score of the clinic etc. I hope to work in an urban area for a clinic that has a score of 15, I believe. I guess it is not that big of a deal to wait 8 months for the payment to kick in, since I hope I will want to work at this clinic much longer than the 2 year commitment. I just wanted to avoid paying back any of my loans if I could (don't we all want that...ha!)

Do they just cut you a check for the 60K? or 30K each year?

They cut me a check for my total loan debit plus what I had paid since signing the contract.

Archived