Class of 2012?

Guest hopingtobapa

Guest hopingtobapa

I'm wondering if anyone is planning on applying to UND class of 2012? Also if there is anyone that has gone here or is going I'd love to here how your experience was.

I have applied to the UND program for 2012 as well. What is your background? I posted earlier to hear from anyone who came from the program or has applied as well and have not heard back. If you receive any info, I would love to share it between us. Where are you from?

Guest hopingtobapa

Hi there! I haven't submitted my application yet, but plan to towards the end of May or beginning of June. I have a couple classes I'd like on my transcripts before I submit. I have worked in the lab for about 9 years. I will be finishing my bachelor's degree in CLS in December. I am in rural MN.

How about you? What is your background and where are you? Are you appying to other schools as well? We will have to keep one another updated. I wish you luck on your quest to get into PA school.

When you submitted the actual grad school application did they want an essay for that plus the CASPA narrative? I was going to call them today and ask, but ran out of time.

Hey, glad to hear someone else will be on pins and needles. I have a BS in Biology, AS in Chemistry and then went to grad school for Cardiovascular Perfusion. I have worked as a perfusionist for 8 years now. I am refreshing my A&P I called them and since it has been 10 years since an class I am taking this.

You do have to submit an essay. I spoke with the school and they did not know when they would start interviewing as it is their first year with CASPA. They were very pleasant when I spoke with them.

I live in Colorado, a town that is about 150,000. So somewhat rural. Have you met anyone who has went through the program? I would love to hear their take on the didactic load. I am sure it is pretty tough, they seem to have a pretty strong pass rate on the PANCE. I am applying to the Red Rocks program in Colorado, although I really would like to do the ND program. Good luck to you as well!!!!! Perhaps we could be support along the way!!!

:p

Guest hopingtobapa

Once I turn my app in I will definitely be on pins and needles! I want to do this so badly! I too am taking a couple classes in addition to my classes for my BS. I had 17 credits this quarter and it has been exhausting! I had to take pharmacology as this was a class I'd never had and I retook physiology. I had talked with them and they said I didn't need to since I've been taking so many science classes, but I thought it would be good to have a refresher just in case I do happen to get into the program.

UND is the only program I'm applying to. It is the only program we would be able to fit in to our lifestyle. My husband is self employed, and we are committed to this area for that reason. We also have four young children, so that would make it really difficult to pick up and move somewhere to go to school. Do you have any children?

I too would love to hear from some current or former students of UND. Is anyone out there? We will definitely have to keep one another informed on this crazy journey. Again I wish you luck!

I would love to get into the program as well. It really fits with our life as well. I have a 17 y/o who is going into the Marine Corps next Dec:confused: , and we have a 13 y/o as well, we didn't want to uproot them. We both work in cardiac surgery and my husband has been working as a CV NP for 18 years, our entire family lives here as well.

It was really hard to leave and go to perfusion school in Ohio for 2 years as they stayed here;). I guess you do what you have to to get by. Wow, 4 young children, and 17 credits..... you are wonderwoman! Have you found a preceptor yet? This seems to be the biggest stepping stone!

I am contemplating taking Pharm as the last pharm I took was in grad school 10 years ago. Thought it would be a good review, even though I work with drugs on a daily basis (sometimes the chemistry is the hardest part to remember). Glad we have met, have you heard when they make their decisions by?

Sherrie

Guest hopingtobapa

Even though I'm sure it's incredibly difficult as a parent for your son to be going into the Marines, I bet you are bursting with pride for him. I know I'm incredibly thankful for people such as him that are willing to serve our country. My kids are ages 10, 4, 3, and 9 months. We have 3 girls and a boy at the end. Between them, school, and doing my husband's bookwork I hardly have time to blink!

Finding a preceptor was actually fairly easy. As I said, I'm from a really small town(pop. 1700), so I know a majority of the docs in the area. It was not too difficult to find one willing to help me out.

Pharm was definitely a difficult class for me. I've had some exposure to drugs, but in the lab it's definitely not our main focus. In addition to pharm and physiology I was also taking immunohematology. I will be sooo happy when mid May is here!

I'm not sure when they will be making decisions. I plan on calling next week with some ?s. I will add that to the list. If I hear anything interesting I'll let you know. Have a great rest of the weekend.

That would be great! I am still at work... ugh... call has killed me this weekend! LOL! I hope you had a good weekend.

Wow, your kids are young you must be busy! It is nice having a big family.

Do you currently work in the lab? What do you do there? I only have contact with our lab as I am the POC for the OR, and blood utilization meetings.

Talk with you soon. :p

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, grad class of 04 here. truly one of the most difficult, overwhelming, intense, rewarding wxperiences of my life. To be likened to trial by fire. Bonds and friendships were made. Staff and faculty were very supportive and always helpful. They really do want you to succeed and they teach well, often and in huge bites. Its a long way from home for most everyone there. outlandishly cold in the winter..47 below the last day i was there. Nothing to say about the program but the best. Just glad I dont have to do it again, but I would. One of the oldest programs in the country by the way.

Guest hopingtobapa

Thanks for the response Brookspa. It sounds very overwhelming, but doable with good support.! I am submitting my application over the weekend and will anxiously be awaiting a response. I'm in MN, so the cold would be nothing new for me! :D

• 3 months later...

Hi all! I am a Med Tech looking to apply to the PA program in 2012. I have a couple questions if anyone has the answers. On average how many people apply and what is the average gpa they accept. The website says you need a min. of 2.75 but that seems a little low. I have a 3.2 for undergrad, and I am wondering if that is too low. Should I go back and retake some classes before I even try getting into the program?!

Interview process was a breeze. One of the faculty comes to visit you and your physician at your job/office site. you are interviewed separately and together. It is a very straight forward process. at least for me , each interviewer is different.. I was no great academic, but had a great deal of healthcare exp. They do like rural experiences and most of the country is rural after all. you would never know it from the news, but look at the map, its really big. Good luck to you all. this is a truly wonderful program and the people in the area are unique and refreshingly nice, truly nice people, almost makes you want to move there, but I'm a Georgia kinda guy. just too cold there. Bless you all, you will need it.

Guest hopingtobapa

MSUESS---I'm a med tech as well and I applied this year, but have not heard yet whether I have been accepted. I really don't know what the stats are as far as GPA, etc. I would make sure you have pre reqs. I had to take pharmacology, as I'd never had that and I also took physiology again. I would say it depends on how long it's been since you took classes. I think on the website they say that they would like the pre reqs within a certain number of years. Good luck to you.

Sherrie--- I got a postcard in the mail last week saying that my preceptor interview had been completed and the admission committee would be meeting mid December. Other than that, nothing. How bout you?

Gina

I bet you are breathing a deep breath now! Congrats! I got a card saying that my proctor interviewed last week as well!!!! :eek: He said it went well from his perspective. :rolleyes: My friend just got her interview stuff so they are still interviewing. Hope you both are doing well!

Sherrie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gina/Tammi

Spoke with the school the admissions committee met the 16th and 17th. They will be sending out certified letters stating our status:eek:. They seemed to think we should know by the end of the year dependant upon when they got the letters mailed. Finally, the waiting is almost over. Good luck to you both! Hopefully an great christmas present for us!!!

Happy Holidays.

Sherrie

Guest hopingtobapa

Thank the good Lord! This waiting is making me crazy!:eek: Good luck to you both! Make sure to post your status when you find out. Can't wait to find out if we'll be classmates. Merry Christmas to both of you.:)

Archived