Neurosurgery vs. Neurology

At risk of asking the obvious, what are the main differences between the two? I guess what I really want to know is if the demand is similar for PA's in either specialty, is compensation similar, are the general conditions worked with similar, and do those specializing in neuro get the opportunity to get involved in any of the surgery? Can anyone suggest any further education beyond my PA school for specializing in Neuro or Neurosurgery? Might it be in my best interest as a new grad to start with neuro and then move over to neurosurgery, or are they both completely different in practice?

At risk of asking the obvious, what are the main differences between the two? I guess what I really want to know is if the demand is similar for PA's in either specialty, is compensation similar, are the general conditions worked with similar, and do those specializing in neuro get the opportunity to get involved in any of the surgery? Can anyone suggest any further education beyond my PA school for specializing in Neuro or Neurosurgery? Might it be in my best interest as a new grad to start with neuro and then move over to neurosurgery, or are they both completely different in practice?

I worked in a neuro clinic before I went to PA school. We had 8 doctors and 1 PA that specialized in cognitive function, strokes, seizures, headaches, multiple sclerosis, movement disorders or pediatrics. There was a neurosurgery clinic the floor below us and we sent our patients to them for spine or brain surgery. The patient was usually released back to us following surgery. So in my experience, yes, neurology and neurosurgery are different. In neurology you'll see more clinical medicine and in neurosurgery you'll see more pre-op and post-op care. Hope this helps!

Archived