How many hours per week do you work?

I need the change. I'm getting to the point where I am really cynical and burnt. I'm still really nice to the patients, but I feel like I am just going through the motions and not really thinking.....it's not a good feeling.

Sounds like a good time for a change of scenery. I was getting some of those feelings working full-time clinical, but I've found that 50/50 is a great mix. It's enough clinical time to feel like I can stay sharp with my patient care, but not enough to burn me out. The other thing that helped with burn-out was moving most of my clinical time out of our inner-city trauma center and working in a much smaller satellite ED in the suburbs. Still get to see good pathology, but without a lot of the "silliness" that we see in a busy urban ED.

• 2 weeks later...
The other thing that helped with burn-out was moving most of my clinical time out of our inner-city trauma center and working in a much smaller satellite ED in the suburbs. Still get to see good pathology, but without a lot of the "silliness" that we see in a busy urban ED.

yup, totally agree. see my current post in the em forum "why I love rural em".

I'm hoping in a few yrs to transition to maybe 75% clinical, 25% teaching and do the vast majority of my clinical time as rural and/or solo coverage.

Archived