How many hours per week do you work?

How many HPW do PA's generally work? (ie, you, for example, or others you know?)

I'd love to know what specialty you work in also. Whatever you'd like to share.

I'm trying to get a general feel for the job responsibilities/demands.

Is it 40 hrs salaried but you work 70?

40 hrs salaried and you work 2 extra weekends?

less? more?

Do you have more than one PA job simultaneously? in more than one specialty? etc

I've worked for years in psychiatry research - it has been 40 hpw salaried but actual hours worked: at least 60/week.

I appreciate your feedback....Thanks.

Job # 1... (usually 7am-1pm M-F)

16 bed stand-alone Inpatient Psychiatry unit (Involuntary Psych Holds) with length of stays between 24hrs to 90 days (10 day average)-

I primarily serve as the "Medicine" Consultant to the Psychiatry staff and do the mandatory admit medical history & physical exams, acute care, chronic disease management. I also do some Behavior Medicine/Psychiatry. I have a fully stocked exam room and a cadre of RNs and LPNs at my disposal.

I usually call the facility in the morning and inquire about new admissions or the charge nurse will text me to alert me to new admissions or with clinical requests. If there are no new admissions I don't go in and sleep in late. I get paid for a guaranteed MINIMUM of 30hrs/week and my benefits are pro-rated as such. Some weeks I'm in the facility 10hrs total then others I'm there 40hrs.

I do ~70% Internal Medicine/Acute Care & ~30% Emergency Psychiatry (Psychotropic Med Stabilization).

Job # 2... (usually 1pm-9pm M-F)

12 bed Crisis Respite with average length of stay ~ 5 days.

I primarily serve as the on-call "Medicine" Consultant and do the admit medical histories.

I have a fully stocked exam room at my disposal.

I get paid for a guaranteed 40hrs/week.

30hrs/wk for "on-call" at 1/4 my normal hrly

10hrs/wk at my normal hrly

I've NEVER had to be there more than 5hrs/wk and have NEVER been paged/called...

In Summary...

I get paid for between a minumum of 70hrs and a maximum of 80hrs/wk at various rates ($15-$60/hr).

I actually work a average of 25-30 hrs/wk...

Life is good... :heheh:

YMMV

Contrarian

36 hours for internal medicine (if I stay late one night I take this off the 4 hours I do in nursing home) never work more then 38 hours (they gave me no raise and asked me to see more patients......) mostly around 35 hours per week

picked up a per diem job about an hour away - 8 hours week

so for the next 3 months, will work about 43-45 hours per week and paid for each one (although primary job is officially salary but I make sure to not work any more for free - if you pay for a yugo you don't get to drive a caddy!!)

5 day work week - monday to friday

Monthly call = usually 1 or 2 weekend days of call 20-100 calls in 24 hours but never have to go in and 1-2 weeknights of call (easy)

pretty easy right now:;DD:

Job # 1... (usually 7am-1pm M-F)

16 bed stand-alone Inpatient Psychiatry unit (Involuntary Psych Holds) with length of stays between 24hrs to 90 days (10 day average)-

I primarily serve as the "Medicine" Consultant to the Psychiatry staff and do the mandatory admit medical history & physical exams, acute care, chronic disease management. I also do some Behavior Medicine/Psychiatry. I have a fully stocked exam room and a cadre of RNs and LPNs at my disposal.

I usually call the facility in the morning and inquire about new admissions or the charge nurse will text me to alert me to new admissions or with clinical requests. If there are no new admissions I don't go in and sleep in late. I get paid for a guaranteed MINIMUM of 30hrs/week and my benefits are pro-rated as such. Some weeks I'm in the facility 10hrs total then others I'm there 40hrs.

I do ~70% Internal Medicine/Acute Care & ~30% Emergency Psychiatry (Psychotropic Med Stabilization).

Job # 2... (usually 1pm-9pm M-F)

12 bed Crisis Respite with average length of stay ~ 5 days.

I primarily serve as the on-call "Medicine" Consultant and do the admit medical histories.

I have a fully stocked exam room at my disposal.

I get paid for a guaranteed 40hrs/week.

30hrs/wk for "on-call" at 1/4 my normal hrly

10hrs/wk at my normal hrly

I've NEVER had to be there more than 5hrs/wk and have NEVER been paged/called...

In Summary...

I get paid for between a minumum of 70hrs and a maximum of 80hrs/wk at various rates ($15-$60/hr).

I actually work a average of 25-30 hrs/wk...

Life is good... :heheh:

YMMV

Contrarian

For someone with a background in psych this pleases me. I keep hearing its so dominated by nps

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

My new job (which I am scared out of my mind to begin) will be 36/hrs/wk salaried, plus one weekend q 5-6 weeks, before which you are not scheduled any shifts the week prior. No call.

Some folks have been known to stay later to finish up things, but there is an overnight hospitalist that takes over the pager at 7p, we pick it back up at 7a.

Salaried with modest production bonus annually. On office-only weeks, 45 hrs in the office, plus on the order of 5-7 hrs per week take-home work as we have no admin. time worked into our schedule. We've got an hour lunch blocked on office days, but invariably work though it as admin. time and to take less work home. Went to an EMR last August, and while it is generally effective, it is next to impossible to stay on time with appts unless you prep the charts ahead of time at home, which an unfortunate ritual all of us NPPs do Sunday through Thursday nights. We read WCEs, but are compensated separately and do those on our own time. On hospital rotation weeks (usually 3 days in hosptial and 1 day in office), very variable but typically about the same; hospital days are quite irregular but I tracked my hours and a little over eleven was my average, but that is stopping for nothing and being hard-pressed to even hit a restroom. I've never once in 10 years eaten in the hosptial's cafeteria when working there! Yet I'm still fat. Frustrating.

Vascular Surgery - salaried. 34-45 hours per week, no call, no nights, no weekends. Generally work 4 days a week but come in on the 5th day for between 10 mins (to sign orders for the next days OR cases) to a few hours if there are inpatients to round on or an urgent OR case.

Emergency Medicine:

I work 50% clinically, and 50% EMS administration. 80 hours every two weeks (some weekly variability based on my clinical shifts).

I also work a couple of shifts a month (8-12 hours each) moonlighting at another ED.

I'm considering making the jump full time to administration....Preferably a research oriented position.....maybe moonlight 1-2 days a month to keep some clinical contact.

I'm considering making the jump full time to administration....Preferably a research oriented position.....maybe moonlight 1-2 days a month to keep some clinical contact.

A couple of years ago the hospital asked me to go full time administration, so I spent 18 months as director of our system while the PA who had been director was deployed to Afghanistan. It gave me a much greater appreciation for the enjoyment I got from clinical work; I came close to hugging one of our frequent flyer drunks on my first shift back!

I wish you luck, but I've learned that I would never want to be strictly admin again. The hospital has asked me since then to increase my administrative time, and the answer has always been a very firm no.

A couple of years ago the hospital asked me to go full time administration, so I spent 18 months as director of our system while the PA who had been director was deployed to Afghanistan. It gave me a much greater appreciation for the enjoyment I got from clinical work; I came close to hugging one of our frequent flyer drunks on my first shift back!

I wish you luck, but I've learned that I would never want to be strictly admin again. The hospital has asked me since then to increase my administrative time, and the answer has always been a very firm no.

I need the change. I'm getting to the point where I am really cynical and burnt. I'm still really nice to the patients, but I feel like I am just going through the motions and not really thinking.....it's not a good feeling.

Archived