working while in the 3 year program

I was accepted into the 3 year program this year. I would very much like to work at least part time while going to school. Is this feasible? and Is it a good idea?

Most importantly, how are classes scheduled for the 3 year students? Will I be able to work, lets say, two full days out of the week? I need to know if there are classes that meet every single morning, since my job requires me to work the full 8 hour shifts (from 6am to 3pm).

Thanks! Have a great week!

I did the 3 yr part time program at hahnemann/drexel and worked 24-30 hrs/week as a medic yr 1 and 2 and full time (plus) summer #1.

yr 3 is a full time yr like the regular yr 2 would be so you can't work much then.

schedules will vary by program. we did m-th 8-2 for yr 1 and 2 with a few longer days. this worked out well for me and I graduated at the top of my class( 3 of 80).

Guest hanneybr

hey mini,

while i was there for my interview at U of D mercy a few weeks back I had the chance to speak with a couple of the current 3 yr students. One is currently working about 24 hours a week doing research at U of M. Specifically I dont know about the days of class i know the 2 year students only have class m-th. Mark the student president was telling me that he only had class like 2 days a week as a 3 year student and the other class he had the choice of taking it in the morning or the evening. Im pretty sure you'll be just fine working, but it never hurts to know for sure. I'm going to be working contingent in my current position during the 2 year program. Best of luck !!

Guest Jbraman

I'm also doing the three year program, and I would like to continue working. From what I gathered talking with other students, completing the three year program and working is feasible, but you have to keep up your studies (I know, that's pretty obvious).

I am a current 3 year student at UDM, maybe I can help! During the first year of the three year program, absolutely it is possible to work. I worked 24hrs/week and still had time to study and have a life. For the second of the three year, it's not as easy to work but maybe one day per week.

For my first semester in my first year, I had class Monday morning and Thursday evening. For the second (winter) semester, I had class Wednesday morning and 2 online classes. For the third semester (summer) class is Wednesday morning with 1 online class. taking the classes are online are optional, you don't have to do it that way, but for me I found the online option very convenient.

Hope this helps!

Apple, which classes can you take online? Do you find the online classes require more "time" on your part?

Online classes are what I consider to be the "filler classes". These include Research Methods, Issues in Health Care, and Health Promotions.

Personally, I liked the online classes. I felt that the total amount of time I had to dedicate per week online was less than what I would spend in and out of a classroom combined. I found it very convenient; highly recommended.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

UDM accepts about 45 new students each year, split between the two and the three year programs. The first year of the three year program, you can easily work at least part time, the second year is harder but a few people manage to work part time, they just have great time management, no family and lots of support.

Archived