Encouraging references to stop dallying

I have an excellent rapport with my doctors and nursing staff where I work. One of the doctors has encouraged me to pursue this path toward PA and when I finally put thought into it and realized he was right, that I'd be happy in this field, probably excessively so, word got out. Multiple staff members started offering to be references.  I took time to really think through which ones would make great references and finally settled on five, figuring at least three would respond in a timely manner. It's been over a month, and the only reference I've received back is from the original doctor who steered me toward PA school.

I've since contacted each explaining deadlines were approaching, and they all say they are on it, but none has completed or submitted to this date.

What can I do to spur these guys to do what they agreed (even asked) to do? I don't want to make enemies since I have to work with these guys, but I really need them to finish their evaluations and they aren't.

How lucky you are to have so many people want to be your reference! But with that aside, I know just how frustrating the situation of not having your letters come in in a timely manner. I had the same issue with 2 of my letter writers! What worked for me was finally giving them a set due date. Before, I was loose with it because I wasn't verified yet so it didn't completely matter but then they never got the letters in. So I suggest trying that. Let them know "The deadlines of the schools that I'm applying to are X date and if you are still willing to write a letter for me, I'd really appreciate if it would be submitted by then. Thanks."

Are you applying this cycle? And are you fulfilling the letter of rec requirements for the schools you are applying to? Some require professors, so make sure you double check.

Archived