Cold cover letter ... anybody do this?

Hi there, I'm in the same boat,

What I did a while back wasn't exactly a full "cold cover letter" but more of a trimmed-down version in an email to the HR dept or the recruiters along with my CV listing the types of positions I would be interested in and what qualifications I could bring (mostly a good work ethic, prior HCE in IM, good educational foundation and motivation to learn as a new grad). I would send your full cover letter to the jobs you're really interested in. I've been having some good luck so far, have my dream job interview this week! I would really specify why neurosurgery if that is your passion and what you could bring to the table, even as a new grad.

Have you tried your preceptor from your Neurosurg experience, ask if they know anyone looking for PAs? Can you request an entire elective rotation in Neurosurgery? Have you tried looking in other states for jobs?

One thing though that I will pass on as sage advice I have received, is that if you ever want to switch specialties into something more broad it can be a lot tougher as a PA who went straight into a surgical sub-specialty vs a PA who spent their first few years in a more general scope of practice (FM, IM, EM, Urgent care, etc). I think he specifically used Neurosurgery as an example of a PA who wanted to move back into family medicine and his reticency to hire said PA, but that's just someone's 2 cents, take it how you will.

Best wishes and good luck with the job search. Remember, it never hurts to put yourself out there and try. Indeed.com or healthecareers.com is your friend

p.s. To mods: Would you be opposed to possibly a PA Job section next to "Contracts, Negotiation and Malpractice" for those of us upcoming new grads to talk about cover letters, CVs, interviews without disrupting the main PA forum?

Been done...

"Cold" doesn't work as well as "warm"...

EVERY coverletter you send out for the rest of your PA life should be specific to a particular job (real or imagined) and directed/addressed to a specific physician.

Prior to sending out letters... do some research.

Use the internet... navigate to the hospital websites in the area you wish to work.

These websites usually have ALL credentialed providers listed by name, and/or by specialty and usually includes a short bio (med school alma mata, clinical interests and focus, yrs of practice, maritial status, hobbies, etc) on each provider.

This is VALUABLE info...

As you will use this free info to craft a "personalized" letter to each physician that you are interested in working with. You will do this for multiple physicians in each practice you want to work in. You WILL get responses...!!!

The point in doing this is that YOU need a insider advocate physician ... someone pushing admin/HR to get you interviewed.

I did this as a 2nd yr PA student just prior to a 10 day summer break... then on that break... "suited-up" and visited each of the practices I sent coverletters to.

It was funny because they all remembered the letters and resume's... and actually started calling around to friends (physicians) asking them to hire this great PA (me) they knew.

One actually put me in his car, drove me to the hospital and started introducing me as a PA friend to other physicians after I had only known him for ~ 30min. Another took me out a private exit and into the backdoor of a Cardiology practice where I eventually got my 1st job.

Yrs later... at the end of another job interview... the committee asked me if I had any questions as we were about to end the interview...

I turned toward one physician and asked him about a obscure but infamous site... by its nickname... on the medschool campus that he attended.

They called and offered me the position before I completed the 15min drive home.

Try it...

YMMV

Contrarian

Been done...

"Cold" doesn't work as well as "warm"...

EVERY coverletter you send out for the rest of your PA life should be specific to a particular job (real or imagined) and directed/addressed to a specific physician.

Prior to sending out letters... do some research.

Use the internet... navigate to the hospital websites in the area you wish to work.

These websites usually have ALL credentialed providers listed by name, and/or by specialty and usually includes a short bio (med school alma mata, clinical interests and focus, yrs of practice, maritial status, hobbies, etc) on each provider.

This is VALUABLE info...

As you will use this free info to craft a "personalized" letter to each physician that you are interested in working with. You will do this for multiple physicians in each practice you want to work in. You WILL get responses...!!!

The point in doing this is that YOU need a insider advocate physician ... someone pushing admin/HR to get you interviewed.

I did this as a 2nd yr PA student just prior to a 10 day summer break... then on that break... "suited-up" and visited each of the practices I sent coverletters to.

It was funny because they all remembered the letters and resume's... and actually started calling around to friends (physicians) asking them to hire this great PA (me) they knew.

One actually put me in his car, drove me to the hospital and started introducing me as a PA friend to other physicians after I had only known him for ~ 30min. Another took me out a private exit and into the backdoor of a Cardiology practice where I eventually got my 1st job.

Yrs later... at the end of another job interview... the committee asked me if I had any questions as we were about to end the interview...

I turned toward one physician and asked him about a obscure but infamous site... by its nickname... on the medschool campus that he attended.

They called and offered me the position before I completed the 15min drive home.

Try it...

YMMV

Contrarian

contrarian is completely right. I have had the same experience.

research is important in all the ways he described. also keeping your initial pitch short, sweet, and positive, explaining exactly the niche you think you could occupy and how you would benefit the practice. it doesn't hurt to say you fell in love with the specialty on a rotation, if that's true. then they know you have tested the waters and like what you found.

email is best, and in my experience, sent straight to the docs (not HR!! it can take 2 years for them to get around to you!). there is usually contact info for providers on the specialties' on-line page. some don't but you can call and ask to speak to the practice manager or the doc's exec assistant and tell them you'd like to pass on a resume; ask if they have a bet means of passing it on for you?

research the practice sites to see if they have used PAs or NPs. research the hosp "careers page" to see how many postings there are for mid-levels. and don't ignore NP postings -- you can usually apply as a PA.

but again -- I would go straight to practice source. if the doc needs help and likes what you have to offer, they will make it happen.

good luck!

• 3 months later...

Archived