PANCE pass rate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No, 82% for first class won't raise any eyebrows at ARC-PA. I am disturbed that LMU set it's benchmark at 50% for the first class...if they had expected only 50% of their DO students to pass COMLEX/USMLE Steps 1&2 they would have faced serious flogging by COCA. Even as a new program (which it was when I matriculated in 1998 under provisional accreditation) Pacific managed high 90% first-time pass rates for the first 2 classes--may have even been 100% but it was a while ago and I don't want to misspeak if my recollection is off.

I'm just saying, if you shoot for 50 and are pleased with 80, certainly not a failure, but they need to tweak quite a few things to get into the 90% crowd. You want your PA program to be in the 90% crowd. ;)

Thanks your reply was really helpful!!! :)

No, 82% for first class won't raise any eyebrows at ARC-PA. I am disturbed that LMU set it's benchmark at 50% for the first class...if they had expected only 50% of their DO students to pass COMLEX/USMLE Steps 1&2 they would have faced serious flogging by COCA. Even as a new program (which it was when I matriculated in 1998 under provisional accreditation) Pacific managed high 90% first-time pass rates for the first 2 classes--may have even been 100% but it was a while ago and I don't want to misspeak if my recollection is off.

I'm just saying, if you shoot for 50 and are pleased with 80, certainly not a failure, but they need to tweak quite a few things to get into the 90% crowd. You want your PA program to be in the 90% crowd. ;)

82% is abysmal. Programs I am most familiar with (Pacific and MCG) are never under 90%+ and I think our first-time average for MCG the past 5 yr has been no less than 94%, with nearly 100% first-time pass rates more often than not the past decade.

Is really abysmal for a first year program? That's maybe 2 people not passing first time.

This statistic really caught me off guard, too. However, I wasn't surprised considering it was their first class. Abysmal might be a touch strong, but 82% is a poor showing. After meeting the faculty and touring the facilities, I certainly expect it to go up over the next few years. LMU has the components of an incredible program and the PANCE scores will come to reflect that.

Not if everything else looks good...the first-time PANCE pass-rate is just ONE of many variables that ARC-PA looks at...I was a bit harsh saying 82% was "abysmal"...but it MUST come up to the high 90s to be a "great" program. Student selection has a LOT to do with this--ultimately it is the students who pass the test. While it is the job of the PA faculty to provide the tools necessary to take the test and prove basic competency to practice medicine, the student PAs bear the ultimate responsibility to learn and demonstrate their learning by killing the PANCE. Past few years at MCG/GHSU we have had several 800s... You can't score higher than that. I give credit to the students who were self-motivated to read more than was assigned and to learn independently. Also had a couple failures--one of whom just obviously failed to prepare (cocky) and one who had severe test anxiety. Both were just below passing on the first attempt and passed safely the 2nd time...they were provided the same instruction as the 800 and high 600-700 crowd...just not the same students.

do you guys think the PANCE pass rate % will affect LMU's provisional accredition? :(

Definitely agree with primadonna. My fiance just graduated from the GHSU DPT program in May and she studied for boards for 6-8 hours a day for two months. If you don't dedicate an intense amount of time, you will not pass. Furthermore, LMU will be able to be more and more selective in regards to students in the years to come. They expect to receive full accreditation in March and I believe them on that.

Definitely agree with primadonna. My fiance just graduated from the GHSU DPT program in May and she studied for boards for 6-8 hours a day for two months. If you don't dedicate an intense amount of time, you will not pass. Furthermore, LMU will be able to be more and more selective in regards to students in the years to come. They expect to receive full accreditation in March and I believe them on that.

Did the school say that they expect to receive full accredition by March 2012?

• 2 weeks later...

LMU is a great PA school!! 82% pass rate is great for the first class. Keep in mind we are a new school. In years to come the program will evolve to even better than what it already is; and the staff will learn to adjust and revise. I'm in the 3rd class and they are already very helpful in helping us study for the PANCE exam.

It is funny how you mention that the school will be more selective in regards to students in the years to come... That is the rate for the first class and it is pretty good. The class was small too, lots of changes have been made since them, so don't make it sounds like the students need to be better selected for the PANCE rate to go up.

It is funny how you mention that the school will be more selective in regards to students in the years to come... That is the rate for the first class and it is pretty good. The class was small too, lots of changes have been made since them, so don't make it sounds like the students need to be better selected for the PANCE rate to go up.

What changes did the school make? not questioning but just interested in knowing..thanks! :)

I am not trashing the first class by any means and I am proud to begin attending LMU in May. I have stated in this thread that the score is good considering it being the first class. It is a program I believe in and I feel very fortunate to be selected as a student. I was simply illustrating that a school in its first years of provisional accreditation and existence will not be able to be as selective as to the students they admit into their program. This is just the truth. I plan on working extremely hard to do my part in representing the school well and increasing its attractiveness to future applicants.

Mwilli, I am just curious what is your background? Any medical experience? How many other schools did you apply to? Why did you decide on LMU? It just seems that consideration should be given to the fact that you did get in and not so much with the selection of students. I am familiar with the people in the first class and class that are on clinical rotations and they were not second-hand picks or the standards lowered for them to get in. Your intentions may not be to trash and I am not accusing you of that but what I am reading from your posts sends the message to me that you are not pleased with LMU's PANCE rate or selection of students and future students. I am of the opinion that it should be an honor to have been accepted at LMU and to have faith that the faculty will do their best to prepare students to be successful.

The PANCE rate posted for the first class should not alarm you and if it does then maybe you would be better suited for a program like Emory or MCG. You say you believe in the program but yet you still question the selection of students and PANCE rate???? Again how will you "increase the attractiveness" of LMU if you continue to downgrade the schools selection process?

Wish you well and hope the best for you in your studies

I interviewed at LMU in October and subsequently turned down offers to interview at Trevecca and MCG because LMU is the school for me. I am above and beyond honored to have been selected to go there. MCG is literally $50,000 less than LMU, so I must truly believe in the school, instructors, staff, and all that goes into the program being what it is today. At no point have I spoken negatively of any student attending my future alma mater. I've given plenty of consideration to the fact I got in. However, this thread is about LMU's initial PANCE first time pass percentage, which is 82%. Like I said earlier, that is a poor showing when compared to all other programs nationally, but I was the first person to defend the rate being called "abysmal" considering that these statistics came from the first graduating class.

Every comment I have made about student selection has never implied anything about second hand picks, lowered standards, or anything of the sort. I am familiar with many current students and I have been impressed with all of them. I am merely stating a fact. Are you suggesting LMU's faculty would not like to have higher student statistics in overall GPA, science/math GPA, GRE scores, etc, thus making it a more attractive school to attend? Do you think that becoming a ranked school and having a high 90% pass rate on the PANCE is not a goal of the program? This is all I meant about student selection. Any new school should hope to increase the amount of applicants that fall into their desired range of acceptable statistics so they have a larger pool to choose from. As for "increasing the attractiveness" of the program, I will work as hard as possible in rotations using the skills taught to me by the faculty and I will do everything I can to get an extremely high score on the PANCE my first time. Am I implying that others haven't done that? No. I am simply planning on doing my part.

Hopefully this has cleared up some confusion. Good luck at your interview!

Archived