Rotations in SW NC

I have posted here before, and have gotten great answers/ideas. So...

Now, I am in my 2nd year and smack dab in the middle of rotations. I believe our program is like many; we have 6 core rotations, an elective, as well as a preceptorship. We get to choose what we'd like to do the latter 2 rotations in, and so, I am working towards those with doing the time in NC/SC. My thinking is that I should do the elective in something internal medicine like- (hospitalist/ED/Cards perhaps?) just to gain that nuts and bolts that you might (or more importantly) might NOT see in FP so I have a greater comfort level when approaching these areas in my eventual real job.

I would really like to find a rotation in the area- both to test the waters, and see if there might be a good fit, and to get known as a real live breathing person other than what is on a piece of paper. I think so much of what makes things work in a practice is the mesh of personalities.

St. Lukes is about 5 miles from my house in Tryon, but I am unsure how to proceed from this point. Does anyone have any ideas or know anyone that might be a contact? I did speak to a MD in Asheville, and had a psuedo interview that went well, and that could work out-which would be great, but am somewhat concerned that I need more "intense" experience before I get into primary care practice as my career. The position that I am looking at there is somewhat independent-at least as a PA can be, and I just worry about that a bit as a new grad. Ideally, I would like to be at St. Lukes- close to home, and I hear really is sinking a lot of energy into improving services and the perception of the surrounding area.

I have joined NCAPA, as well as SCAPA to cover all bases.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas.

I am in the wrong part of the state in Fayetteville, NC. But if you are interested in a busy outpatient only internal medicine clinic, I may be able to help. We already serve as a rotation site for a NC PA school with lots of experience, averaging one student monthly.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much. Have calls in;) I am hoping to get a rotation at St. Lukes, only because it's close to my house (less than 5 miles- an easy bike ride!) But, don't know if that's possible yet.

Am also considering doing a rural EM residency. Will start a thread on that- but what do you both think? Would it help?

And my goodness, I thought once I got here, I would have less questions. I have more! Thus far, however, loving rotations. More than I thought, actually. I adore the patient contact and thrive so much more on "working" the dx vs. reading the dx. Did see a tension pneumo yesterday in a kid. That got my heart pumping....

Thanks again to both of you for your time and ideas!I think I owe you both a drink!

Thanks so much. Have calls in;) I am hoping to get a rotation at St. Lukes, only because it's close to my house (less than 5 miles- an easy bike ride!) But, don't know if that's possible yet.

Am also considering doing a rural EM residency. Will start a thread on that- but what do you both think? Would it help?

And my goodness, I thought once I got here, I would have less questions. I have more! Thus far, however, loving rotations. More than I thought, actually. I adore the patient contact and thrive so much more on "working" the dx vs. reading the dx. Did see a tension pneumo yesterday in a kid. That got my heart pumping....

Thanks again to both of you for your time and ideas!I think I owe you both a drink!

• 3 months later...

Archived