Got the "-C" today.

Long journey. Big sacrifices. Much psychic energy expended. Found out I passed the PANCE and got a job offer on the same day. This resource has been incredibly helpful over the past few years. I'd like to publicly thank LESH and EMEDPA, and nameless others, for their perspective and assistance.

As an "old-school" (High HCE, Low GPA) candidate, I would like to report: It can (still) be done in this day and age.

Thanks All,

MedicMovingOn, MS PA-C, NREMT-P

Long journey. Big sacrifices. Much psychic energy expended. Found out I passed the PANCE and got a job offer on the same day. This resource has been incredibly helpful over the past few years. I'd like to publicly thank LESH and EMEDPA, and nameless others, for their perspective and assistance.

As an "old-school" (High HCE, Low GPA) candidate, I would like to report: It can (still) be done in this day and age.

Thanks All,

Outstanding Medic. Congrats! Yes it can still be done. Thanks for representing old school...

LesH

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks All,

Congrats man!!! Im right behind you (starting year 2 clinicals, also NREMT-P).

Any pearls for those following in your footsteps?

You know, I think the biggest thing with clinicals was just keeping a positive attitude. When things were really wearing on me or I was counting the days left on a particular rotation, I thought about previous days as a probationary medic -- it really couldn't be worse than that (and I never got free coffee in the Drs Lounge as a probie).

People would ask me how I was doing: a well-placed "Just happy to be here, Sir" worked wonders. Be assertive. It's your dime, and preceptors generally appreciate folks who appear to want to be there. Throwing a (figurative) elbow to get a skill doesn't hurt either. This is especially relevant if you are in a teaching hospital with a gaggle of residents with/near you. Your preceptors may appreciate your previous life as a medic and might give you an opportunity to show your EM chops if the situation presents itself. Grab the laryngoscope handle or Central line kit with authority and get it done! Hope you have a great experience.

Archived